eight

I sat alone in the bathroom, my hands covering my face. They continued to tremble because I knew what was happening to Trenton. I couldn't watch it happen, but I couldn't and wouldn't stop it either.

My whole body felt like it wanted to break down. I already threw up twice from nerves and guilt. Why do I even feel this way?! He's done so much to Remi and me, and yet I don't want him getting hurt.

Why am I this way?

Can't I be a little bit vengeful? This is the time to get revenge. Except I hate it...

I felt myself getting nauseous again and I turn around, throwing up in the toilet again. Becoming sick again, I pull myself back from there once I flush the toilet.

Why...why am I sitting here?!

I need to think about it this way. I'm protecting Remi and he does love his father - he doesn't know what he's done because he's so innocent. It would kill me if something horrible happened to Trenton and I am at fault. I could've stopped it, but all I did was run and throw up my guilt.

That's when I wash my hands, running out of the bathroom with wet palms. I rush back to that same room and burst through the door.

Now I saw Ezra still pounding Trenton's face in. Trenton staggering back and tried swinging back, only for everyone to laugh when Ezra punched him in the gut. His body collapsing to the ground and I gasp fearfully.

"Ezra stop!" I shriek, and I saw him looking at me now. His knuckles along with the wrap were stained with Trenton's blood. When I did look at Trenton he was unrecognizable.

I felt like throwing up all over again...

"Why are you stopping me?" He growls at me, and I saw him stomp his foot onto Trenton's hand. Revealing only the tip of his index finger, I saw him pull out a knife. "I take the tip of his finger, the debt on his part is cleared. Yes?"

I look over my shoulder at that green-eyed man, and I saw him nod in enjoyment. This wasn't what I wanted! I saw Ezra crouch and the knife rest on Trenton's finger.

Except I suddenly found myself shoving Ezra away. I fell on my knees before Trenton and blocked him from everyone now. Looking over my shoulder at Trenton, he was so swollen and bloody...

He looked at me in shock to my actions, and was soon bowing his head in defeat it seemed.

"T-thank you... I don't deserve this."

"I'm not doing it for you." I whimper, and he looks back up at me. "You're Remi's father. He loves you Trenton - he needs us both. Why are you putting yourself into these situations?!"

I found myself crying again, and Trenton started crying as well.

"I don't know..."

I shook my head, facing forward and saw Ezra looking furious. His eyes flickered between Trenton and me, then he scoffed.

"Theo, I will ask you politely. Please move." Ezra tries to order me, but I stay my ground.

He sneers, crouching before me and his knife points at my throat. It begins to travel up and run over my lips, only for him to pull it back.

"You don't defend this trash because you want to? You're doing it for Remi's sake?" Ezra questions me.

"Of course. I also - in good conscience - can't let you do this to someone. I'd do this for anyone else too." I state to him truthfully.

Ezra sneers at me, and I see his hand slam down on something. When I hear Trenton cry out in pain, I looked down and saw Ezra's knife having cut the tip of his finger all the way through.