Wherever We Go, We Go Together

[Chapter 39]

Leonard's POV (Surprise!)

My eyes are squeezed tightly shut against the world, but something feels horribly wrong. Something's not right. I thought death takes away pain and suffering. I thought I would be at peace. But...

I feel exactly the same.

Except Isabelle is not by my side.

"Leonard?" I hear... Sara ask. Oh god, please don't tell me we all died.

"Leonard!" I hear Sara shout again and I crack open my eyes. Hell looks just like...

The Waverider?!

"Leonard how did you get here?!" Sara yells in my face but I don't answer her. I can't answer her. All I'm thinking about is one thing.

Isabelle. Isabelle. Isabelle.

"What happened? Where's Isabelle?" I ask, panicked.

"That's precisely what we were about to ask you Mr. Snart," Rip replies and the pieces connect in my head.

"No," I gasped. "No. She.. couldn't have. She wouldn't."

I tore off the ring Isabelle gave me, the one that belonged to her brother, and clenched it so tightly in my fist, I believed I bent the metal.

"She teleported me here, right before the blast," I whispered, in pain and agony. She's gone. She's gone. She's gone.

The group fell into an uncomfortable silence. An unbearable one.

"We have to go back and change it. Right now Rip," I demand but Rip slowly shakes his head.

"We cannot go back to events that we have already participated in. It will cause catastrophic damage to the timeline-"

"Screw the timeline! We can't let her die. I... can't let her die," I shout but Rip just looked at me with pity and sadness in his eyes.

"We must honor her sacrifice. She chose this. She wanted you to live," Sara murmured and the rest of the legends nodded in agreement, but I couldn't believe it. I didn't want to believe it.

She's gone. She's gone. She's gone.

"She left this for you," Rip said softly, and handed me a familiar journal. The one that Isabelle has had for most of her existence, her method for reviving the memories that she lost, no... that the Time Masters stole from her. My heart shattered when I took it.

I opened it up to find entities of all of our journeys to become legends in there. And little special moments as well. The team breakfast, our dance, the battle in the Wild West, all of it.

I slid open the page where two letters were hidden. One had Sara's name on it, and the other had mine.

I wordlessly handed Sara her letter and carefully opened mine.

Dear Leonard,

If you're reading this, it means... that somehow I'm dead.

After you had left my room to gear up, that horrible nagging feeling that something is going to go horribly wrong was stronger than ever. I don't believe in a god but even if I did, I'm afraid he left me a long time ago.

I am not a good person. I'm not a good friend. I push people away because my heart mourns for enough of them. But somehow, you managed to meddle your way in. The whole team did, but you more than most.

I care for you so much that I refuse to lose you. Which is the purpose of this letter. It means that I sacrifice myself so that you could all live. I've been prepared for this for weeks now. Something bad is going to happen today, I can feel it in my bones.