I Promise

[Chapter 31]

"We're here," Rip said, actually looking slightly excited.

"Where is here?" Leonard asks Rip.

"Come, I'll show you," Rip replies, hurrying toward the door.

Leonard helps me up and we all walk outside toward a large house. There was a huge garden out in the front and it honestly look really beautiful.

"Again, where is here?" Leonard asks, a little annoyed.

"We need a safe harbor to keep your younger selves," Rip half-explains when a woman with short dirty blond hair and a blue trenchcoat walks out of the house.

"I've been waiting," she said with a smile on her face. "It's good to see you."

The whole team shared confused looks.

"It's good to see you too, Mother." Rip replies.

"What?" I ask, extremely confused.

The woman - Rip's mother - ushered us into the house and in the living room. Leonard helped me sit down on one of the chair while he sat on the desk by the window that was right beside my seat. 

We were each offered a cup of tea. Leonard turned down his but I accepted mine and took a sip. I haven't had tea in a long time.

I heard the squeals of children running down the stairs and out the door.

"Don't forget to take your boots off before you come back in!" She tells them as they shut the door behind them. 

She scoffs and gave Rip a lemon in his tea. I see a little boy sneak behind Rip's mother and tries to take one of the desserts from the platter on the table beside her.

"Oi!" she yells when she catches the boy. She grabs the dessert from his hand and pushes him out of the room.

"So, this is where Rip plans on keeping our baby selves," Jax says.

"If all goes according to plan, we'll only be here for a few minutes, the presumably never remember," Stein explains to us.

"When's the last time anything went according to plan?" Ray asks and he kinda does have a point.

"I don't think there ever was a last time," Kendra replies.

"I really would sit up if I were you," Rip whispers to Jax, catching all of our attention. "She'll kill you if she catches you slouching."

I giggle into my palm and I could see Kendra trying not to laugh.

"Don't be fooled by appearances. That woman is as tough as nails," Rip tells us.

"Funny how you never mentioned having a mother," Leonard said, picking up a blue vase and inspecting it.

"Adoptive mother," the woman cut in, walking back into the room. "Now, can I interest any of you in some more tea?"

"Thank you," Stein told her as she pours him more.

"So Michael-" she starts to say.

"Michael?" Kendra and I ask simultaneously.

"That's me," Rip says monotone. "My birth name."

"The Time Masters insisted on the adoption of new identities for their protection," Rip's adoptive mother explains to us.

"How do you know so much about the Time Masters?" Jax asks.

"I work for them," she said plainly and I almost choke on my tea. The rest of the team must of had similar reactions because she smiles.