Pain Makes Us Strong, But Love Makes Us Stronger

[Chapter 34]

“Let me go,” Cassandra, Savage’s daughter said. Jonathan, Sara, and I were waiting for the signal on one side of the room while Mick, Rip, and Leonard were waiting on the other side.

“Call them,” Savage says in a low, threatening voice. “Call the ones that you no doubt helped gain access to my bunker.

Rip takes that as the cue and twists around the corner, pointing his gun at Savage.

“No need to trouble yourself, Miss Savage,” he says, walking slowly closer to Savage and his daughter. “We’re already here.”

Savage turns around to face Rip.

“Oh, I admire your command of irony, Gareeb. Using my own child against me,” Savage said.

“Sorry to say it didn’t take much,” Leonard replies.

“Not at all you ass,” Mick states bluntly.

“They’ve shown me the truth of what you’ve done. The innocent-” Savage cuts his daughter off.

“Do not speak as if you know anything about ruling a people!” Savage shouts. “Do you really want to align your fate with these… pretenders? They’re nothing but grains of sand in the desert of time.”

I roll my eyes. Now where have I heard that one before?

“You are a monster,” Cassandra spat in his face. For a moment, it looked like Savage was genuinely hurt from what his daughter said. But a moment later, a huge set of soldiers bust around the corner and file into the room.

Mick and Leonard got ready to shoot at them and Sara whipped out her two batons and I whipped out two wickedly long fighting knives. I flip them around in my hand and turn to Jonathan who gives me a nod. His eyes shone a bright purple and I smiled, knowing my eyes shone as well.

“She’s here,” Savage sneers, undoubtedly talking about Kendra. “I can sense her. You do realize that she can do me no harm?”

“Clearly you didn’t get the memo,” I reply.

Just at that moment, Kendra swoops in with a battle cry and heads straight for Savage. He tries to duck, but Kendra grabs him. She flies straight through the assemblance of soldiers and throws Savage roughly into another room.

That was when the soldiers charged toward us. Six came toward Jonathan and we grinned at each other. I start cutting them down, falling back into my own natural fighting routine. I slice one soldier on his chest and whip around to slice another soldier's thoat. One soldier knocks one of my fighting knives out of my hands and I toss my other knife to Jonathan who impales the soldier from behind.

“Nice,” I laugh and he gives me a hesitant smile.

“I’ve learned a few things,” he replies, tossing me back my knife. I whip around to check on Leonard and see Mick barreling into a soldier that was going to attack Sara from behind. I threw my knife into a second soldier that was going to impale Mick and smile when I hear the soldier’s slack body fall to the ground.

Just then, a soldier comes behind me and I roundhouse kick him and knock him into a wall. Two more come after me and I swore. I remembered what Jonathan said about me having telekinetic ability. I throw out my hand in front of me and summon my knife. I watch it raise up and shoot forward, straight through one of the soldiers and jumps into my hand.

I smile as I send my second knife through the other soldier, and they fall to the ground. I sheath my knives when I notice Jonathan on the ground, with a mixed expression on his face.