That Ship's Not Taking Off Without Us

[Chapter 40]

[Sara's POV] Double surprise!

The team was ghostly quiet as Rip quickly piloted us away from the Vanishing Point. We didn't look back.

We couldn't.

We were leaving Isabelle and Leonard behind. Letting them die so we could live. But losing them all the same.

I felt a twist of guilt for how I had first treated Isabelle. I was hypocritical and unfair, and even though we made amends, I still hate myself a little for it.

"Is there any chance...?" Kendra trails off but I understand what she means.

"I don't think so," I reply softly, keeping my emotions thrust as far from the surface as possible. Falling apart now won't help anyone.

Ray was about to say something when we all heard a huge crash from somewhere inside the ship.

"Man, I just fixed the damn thing," Jax groaned but Rip and I shared uneasy glances.

"I don't think that was the ship," I say and started heading towards where the sound came from. The rest of the team followed, but I ignored their footfalls as I focused on what could have made that sound and how I could kill it as fast as possible.

I turned down another hall and instantly smelled something burning. I slid a knife into my hand and moved forward a lot quicker.

I turn into the door of the MedBay and stop dead at the sight in front of me.

Medical supplies were scattered everywhere and the floor had a huge burn mark stretching from corner to corner. In the center was a girl, about fifteen, with shoulder length wavy black hair.

Her clothes were a burning mess but her pale skin was undamaged. She laid unmoving and I moved cautiously forward.

As though the girl could sense me, her eyes snapped open and I froze in utter shock...

...at the sight of vibrant violet eyes.

"Isabelle?" I whispered. She sits up and her eyes connected with mine and I knew without a doubt that this was Isabelle.

But could she remember me? Could she remember the team?

Could she remember who she was?

"It's me. It's Sara," I continue softly, aware of the rest of the team crowding at the door, staring at the scene unfolding.

Isabelle didn't divert her steel gaze from mine, and I desperately searched her expression for recognition. I didn't fail to notice how young she looked. And exceptionally beautiful. But completely and utterly different.

Gone was her highlighted brown hair that flowed over her shoulder like a natural wave. Gone was the smile that I had grown used to.

Was the girl who lived and breathed just under an hour ago continue to live inside this younger version of herself?

"Where is he?" she asked. Her voice was soft and beautiful like a melody, uncalloused by years of anguish and suffering. Isabelle still showed no sign of recognizing me. My heart gave a horrible twist and I found myself wanting to lie to her.

"He's gone," Ray replies softly, advancing toward Isabelle cautiously, like he would a frightened animal.

"Where?" Isabelle asked, but didn't move her gaze from mine. I slowly grab her warm and give her a small squeeze.

"He's dead Isabelle."

I looked at her face, looking for any sort of reaction. But there was nothing. Nothing to hint at how she would react.