Locating the Money

[Chapter 8]

"We've arrived in Leipzig, Germany, the most current location for Vandal Savage. And by the way, Captain, you are urgently needed in the MedBay," Gideon announced. 

"I thought she'd stabilized!" Rip said as he rushed down the hall. We all looked at each other before we raced to catch up with him.

"As did I," Martian replied to Rip as almost half the team was racing to the MedBay.

"Carter, where's Carter?" Kendra cried out, convulsing as Stein and Rip stood next to her. 

"He's gone, Kendra. I'm so sorry," Stein said as the alarms continued to go off and Kendra cried in pain. 

"Gideon, turn that bloody noise off!' Rip shouted, annoyed.

"Yes, Captain," Gideon replied and the alarms stopped. 

"What happened?" Ray asked no one in particular while walking past us in the doorway. 

"Saunders appears to have had a complication," Stein explained.

"I know, what kind of complication?" Ray asked.

"How could you leave him?!' Kendra accused before falling unconscious. 

"Is she..." Ray asked worriedly.

"Gideon gave her a sedative, but obviously her condition is worsening," Stein replied.

Leonard, Rip and I walked back to the main area where Jax and Mick were waiting. 

"How is she?" Jax asked anxiously.

"Pieces of the dagger have apparently broken off and are, as we speak, en route to her heart," Rip explained, obviously devastated. It's clear we have no chance of defeating Savage if Kendra is dead.

"Can't we just time jump into the future where they got the stuff that can fix her?" Jax asked.

"This ship is from that very same future and has, thus far, been unsuccessful in saving her," Rip replied frustratedly.

"Kendra wouldn't survive the time jump anyway' Leonard said as I look at him confused. "I pay attention," Leonard retorted at my gaze, smiling. I roll my eyes and train my attention back on Rip.

"To sum up, Carter Hall is dead, the girlfriend's not too far behind, Vandal Savage is sitting pretty in 1975, which we're all stuck in. That how the plan was supposed to work, Rip?" Mick asked gruffly.

"Obviously not, but the mission is simple. We stop Vandal Savage here in the past and we save the future," Rip retorted.

"Simple don't mean easy, Captain" I state cooly and slightly bored.

"Oh, I never said it was. The benefit of being a Time Master is that the length and breadth of history gives one... perspective. I've seen darker days. I've seen men of steel die and dark knights fall, and even then I accomplished my mission no matter what. Gideon, what is our status?" Rip asked.

"When the Waverider was attacked by Chronos, the jumpship was damaged. Unless you make repairs, we will be unable to..." Gideon started to say but Jax interrupted. "Wait, Jumpship?"

"It's a small expeditionary vessel at the belly of the Waverider... you're a mechanic! You have a look at it," Rip said in realization. 

"Uh... auto mechanic," Jax said gesturing to himself. "Uh... spaceship." gesturing to the rest of the ship but Rip just stared bluntly at him.

"Okay, if you've got a set of wrenches, I'll see what I can do," Jax sighed in defeat.

"What about the rest of us? Do we just sit?" Mick asked annoyed.