Whatever It Takes, Whatever the Cost

[Chapter 36]

I was lounging boredly on Rip's captain seat while Rip, Sara, and Martin were working to fix... whatever the hell was wrong with the ship now.

I wouldn't be much help anyways.

"Time Drive reinitialization complete, Captain," Gideon says. "The primary systems are back online and stable."

"Begin ignition sequence and resume our route to the Vanishing Point," Rip commands.

Mick was sitting on the seats across front the giant console and I was avoiding any sort of interaction with them for the moment. I was relieved to hear that Jax was alive and young again, back in 2016.

And yes... I was relieved that Leonard and Mick were stranded on the ship with us. Even if I have no idea where Leonard is at the moment.

"You're a fool Professor," Mick growls and I roll my eyes, since this was the sixth or seventh time he was complaining about not getting to go back to 2016.

"I'm trying to save Jefferson's life," Stein defends just as Ray came rushing into the bridge, completely out of breath.

"Savage has escaped," Ray said and everyone snaps their heads to Ray.

"What?" Rip asks and I groan.

"What in god's name possessed you to do this Raymond," I pinch the bridge of my nose, already guessing what happened.

"I'm sorry," Ray replies and I give him one of my killer glares, letting him know how much I would love to throttle him for being an idiot.

"Pull up all the surveillance monitors, now!" Rip commands in a panicked rush.

"I'm afraid Vandal Savage has already freed Carter Hall, and is preparing to disengage..." Gideon's voice garbles and then stops completely.

"That can't be good," Sara says as the lights flicker off.

"Gideon's entire operational matrix is offline. And without her help..." Stein starts.

"We'll have to make our approach the old fashioned way." Rip concludes.

"Shouldn't we be more worried about Savage and his brainwashed crony?" Mick asks.

"We wouldn't be having this problem if Big Brain over here used his damn head instead of wanting to prove his masculinity!" I shout but Rip ignores me.

"Yes, which is why I need you and Dr. Palmer and Ms. Light to go and recapture him." Rip gestures us out and I stop listening to the rest of Rip's commands toward Sara and Martin.

I get up and lead the way for Mick and Ray toward the weapons room.

"If we live through this, you bumbling idiot, I might just kill you," Mick growls, pretty much voicing my inner thoughts. I don't scare Ray anymore than necessary though. Fear makes people stupid and careless.

And right now, that's the last thing we need.

My powers won't be incredibly useful on the ship to my dismay. I need the certain elements I want to use to be present, otherwise, my powers are useless.

The only one that would be at full power would be electricity, but that could damage the ship even more. So it's a last resort.

My additional abilities would be useless as well, maybe telekinesis would be useful to grab fallen knives.

But right now, the only thing I can rely on to know won't let me down is my newly sharpened blades and my instincts.

I immediately strap on daggers to my belt and I grab the twin blades that I sharpened this morning. They gleam wickedly under the light and I grin wickedly right back.