There Are No Strings On Us

[Chapter 38]

"You apologized to Sara?" I asked, looking up from my journal as Leonard sauntered into my room. I was sprawled on my bed, reading over the entries from years ago. He kissed my forehead and then layed next to me, pulling me closer to him by my waist.

His hands rested lazily at the edge of my plain white t-shirt and I gave him an exasperated sigh for his slow response.

"Yes yes, I apologized to Sara." He finally replies.

"Good. I hope she punched you before she forgave you," I nod, turning back to my journal.

"Hey!" Leonard exclaims and I give him an incredulous look, making him throw up his hands in defeat before placing them back on my stomach. "Fine I deserved that."

"Damn straight," I mumble and turn the page, but I wasn't focusing on the words anymore.

"What's wrong?" Leonard asks softly, his breath warm on my neck.

"Nothing's wrong." I reply evenly.

"Are you mad that I considered leaving you and the team?"

"No."

"Then what's really bothering you?"

"Nothing."

It happened so fast I didn't see it. One minute I was on my side staring at my journal and the next, I was flat on my back with Leonard hovering over me, staring directly in those ice-blue eyes.

"Don't lie to me." His voice was low.

"I'm not ly-- fine." I give in, my voice barely a whisper. "I'm worried that not all of us are going to make it out of here. I'm worried that Fate or God or whatever control the universe is about to screw us over."

Leonard was silent for once. I could see in his eyes that he was thinking over what I said and was trying to come up with a reassuring reply that didn't sound like total bullshit.

"Whatever happens, we'll get through it together. It's you and me. It's us and the team. We have each other's back. We are going to get through this together." He repeats and grasps my hand, lacing our fingers together.

"Promise?" My voice cracked.

"Promise."

***

We were geared up and ready to go. I was back in my leather jacket and black leggings. My hair was in a french braid and I had weapons on every part of my body. An automatic rifle was slung over one shoulder, and a long sword was sheathed at the other. Countless daggers, both hidden and visible, were within reach.

The Time Masters and Vandal Savage seem to think that I belong to them.

But I belong to only one person. And I will never bow or stand down for anyone else.

I was rallying up my power as Martin talked, but I was only half listening. I could taste revenge in the air, and it was sweet and savory.

All of a sudden, the ship shook and the lights turned red, signifying that we're here. I struggled to control my breathing, my heart rate. Panic will help no one. I just pray to whatever is listening that we will all get out alive and preferably in one piece.

The door opened and Rip let out a long breath. And before he could let himself change his mind, he walked out onto the street, the rest of the team following.

I walked in between Leonard and Mick, bringing up the rear. My hands twitched in range of my knives, but I resisted the urge to grab them.

Not yet. Not yet. Not yet.