I'd Say I Miss Simple But I Don't Remember What It Feels Like

[Chapter 27]

"What is it about you people that whenever we go to a new timeline, you feel the need to pick up...strays?" Rip said as we walked back onto the Waverider.

"Nice. I didn't get to see it last time around," Hex said.

"Last time?" Ray asks.

"A long story, which we will not be telling," Rip said quickly, failing to hide his surprise.

"My coat suits you good," Hex comments

"What are you doing here, Jonah?" Rip asks.

"Collecting on a bounty, wetting my whistle, when your friends here got in a lot of trouble," Hex explains.

"We might've gotten into a barroom brawl back in town," Ray elaborates.

"Well, that was entirely predictable," Rip said, annoyed.

"One of them poured lead into a member of the Stillwater gang," Hex adds.

"Mr. Rory," Rip guesses.

"Snart, actually," Ray corrects.

"Oh, that was gonna be my next guess or Isabelle," Rip said sarcastically as I smirk.

"This guy tried to kill Grey. Snart saved him," Jax explains.

"And brought this town a whole lot of hell in the bargain. Those boys you were trading hands within the saloon... they're all members of the Stillwater gang," Hex explains.

"Why can't a gang ever be a bunch of good guys?" Ray mumbles, half to himself.

"Jeb Stillwater and his friends been raiding this town for the past three months. Stealing, robbing, killing," Hex continues.

"Well, he'll have to go through us," Ray says heroically.

"No, he won't. No doubt your... your little ruckus has already placed the timeline at risk, to say nothing of potentially alerting the Hunters to our presence here," Rip declines.

"Sounds like someone's planning on busting out of town again," Hex comments pointedly at Rip.

"Leaving already?" Mick asks gruffly, walking into the room.

"Look who's awake," I said smirking and Mick glared at me.

"You got lucky," Mick mutters.

"Whatever makes you sleep at night," I wink and Leonard growled annoyed as he watched our interaction.

"No. No. Look, this town is being terrorized by the Stillwater gang. And I aim to do something about it," Ray explains, ignoring our bantering.

"You 'aim to'? You getting all native on us, Haircut?" Mick asks, amused.

"Look, we signed on to this mission..." Ray starts to explain.

"To stop Vandal Savage," Rip interrupts.

"To be heroes. And saving a town from a marauding gang of criminals... that is what heroes do," Ray corrects.

"Quite a posse of saints you're riding along with nowadays," Hex said laughing. I saw Kendra walking towards us, before suddenly turning around and heading in the opposite direction.

"Hey. Bridge is, uh, that way," I said, following her. I was done with the hero talk for now.

"Yeah, I'm not going to the bridge. I'm, uh... Where am I going, Gideon?" Kendra asks, drawing up a blank.

"The valley you described is consistent with Albano Gulch," Gideon replies.

"Yeah, there," Kendra said.