Finding A New Power In 2046 (Part 2)

[Chapter 17]

"Where's Mr. Rory?" Stein asked as we walked back onto the ship.

"Sleeping it off," Leonard replied as I paced the room annoyed.

"We have the Neuromorphic Prototype. Any luck with the ship's engine?" Rip asked.

"Yeah, it's all good," Jax replied.

"Is there something wrong, Isabelle?" Stein asked.

"Well, the one person who knows why I destroyed Star City has been kidnapped and will most likely die within the hour..." I replied angrily. I can't believe how much I'm freaking out over this. I'm the villain right? Why do I keep pretending to be a hero?

"I think if Isabelle needs to stay and help then we should," Jax said.

"I mean, that's what we signed up for: to be heroes," Jax added.

"I agree with Jefferson," Stein added.

"Yes, of course, you both do, because neither of you understand the pitfalls of changing the timeline. Meddling with the future is arguably more dangerous than changing the past, because it is still in flux," Rip argued and I cracked my neck annoyed.

"Your wife and son's death is in the future. You want us to change that," I said softly.

"Don't play that card with me," Rip said firmly.

"So what? Are you only willing to risk the timeline if it's for your own family? You're not going to destroy places where families live and normal people work. I'm no better than Savage if this is my future. I have no idea what I am or why I am this monster that stands before you. But I was given this chance to change my future and not ruin a whole bunch of innocent lives and you want to take that away from me? After everything I have done for this team?" I asked my voice going dangerously low at the end.

"I am not just trying to save my family and I'm not just thinking about myself and I'm not the one being selfish, Isabelle," Rip said angrily and I swear at him.

"Go to hell," I snap.

"Most likely. If you want to go and save Connor, then be my guest. I'll keep the ship here for one hour, then we're leaving. With you onboard or without," Rip stated and walked off. I left the room to find Leonard and Mick.

Mick was trapped in the ship's prison cells and Leonard was just around the corner, hidden from Mick's view.

"I've been given an hour to save Connor otherwise Rip is leaving without me, you coming?" I asked Leonard and he nodded.

"Let me just talk to Mick first," Leonard added as we walked over to Mick as he woke up.

"Hello Mick," I said sighing.

"You bitch," Mick roared at me.

"It's funny how many times I've been called that today," I say out loud.

"Just calm down," Leonard said calmly.

"You lied to me!" Mick explodes before trying to attack us but was stopped by the cell force field.

"Wouldn't be the first time. Remember the Del Ray Currency Exchange? The Black Hawk Armoured Car job? If I hadn't lied to you on those scores, we'd all be in prison or dead. I'm the brains, you're the muscle. That's how it's always been. And on occasion, I've had to call some audible. You have a habit of getting in your own way, Mick," Leonard explained.

"You're right. You've lied to me about jobs before, but then again, you lied to me about this being a job. It's not about the score anymore for you. You'd rather save the world than be my partner. A real team player," Mick explained, sitting down in his cell.