Maybe For A Reason

[Chapter 41]

"Despite my wishes to pursue Savage alone, it seems that you're all intent on seeing this thing through till the bitter-" Rip was cut off as Sara punched him in the face and shoved him against the wall.

"Oh! Speaking of bitter," Mick comments. I merely shrug. Sara got to him before I could.

Sara unsheaths a knife and holds it up to Rip's throat. "You knew," she growled. "You dropped us off five months later because you knew."

"Knew what?" Jax asked.

"You knew that Laurel was going to die, and now you're going to take me back, and I'm going to save my sister," Sara hissed in Rip's face. At the mention of Sara's sister, I became a little more sober and aware as to what Sara seems to be planning.

"I'm afraid that-" Rip starts.

"You should be afraid."

"I can't allow you-"

Sara punches the wall behind Rip's head. "I don't care about the timeline! You're taking me back now!"

"Look Sara, I'm sure there's a valid reason why Rip didn't-" Ray starts.

"Stay out of this!" She yells at Ray and turns her burning gaze back on Rip. But she didn't see that Rip had grabbed his flashy knockout device and it was too late for her to move out of the way. She fell unconscious against Mick as he easily lifted her up.

"What the hell, Rip?" Jax asked.

"Mr. Rory, take Ms. Lance to sleep it off," Rip ignores my livid stare and heads into his office.

"Not to dismiss what just happened, but we do have to find Savage, assuming that Kendra and Carter are still on his timeship," Ray strategized as I walked over to Rip's arrangement of alcohol.

"He could be anywhere in time and space," Rip continues.

"Well that narrows it down a lot," I say sarcastically and grab the strongest drink I could find. Before I could lift the bottle to my lips, Jax snatched it away from me and in the process, accidently knocked over what looks like a really old helmet from WWII.

I turn an exasperated glare on him as the rest of the team turn to look at us. Jax closes the bottle and sets it on the table far from my reach and then apologizes and picks up the old helmet.

"Was this always over here?" he asked confusedly.

"No it lives over-," Rip turned back to his desk and then slowly turned to look at the helmet again. "Did you put it there?"

Jax shook his head. "Nah, man." Rip turned his eyes to me.

I raised my hands innocently. "Don't look at me. I didn't do it."

"Dude it's just a helmet," Jax said confusedly as Rip grabs the helmet.

"Chronometric repositioning," Rip said under his breath.

"What?" Both Jax and I ask simultaneously.

"Temporal changes can, on occasion, reverberate through the timeline, physically moving an object from one place to another."

Rip then starts looking inside the helmet. For what, I don't know but it must be the Mad Hatter's Hat or something if it held something more than maybe a piece of paper.

Rip reaches inside and grabs, of course, a tiny slip of paper.

He hands the hemet to Stein and then unfolds the paper quickly, scanning the words on the page.