Chapter 34

"I don't want her to see the other side of me Pratima ji.You heard me!? She should be safe." Dev said to Pratima ji from the other end of the line. She nodded.

Everyone in the mansion knew that Teressa was that delicate string in his life which could keep him intact or break him into pieces. And if he broke no one will be spared, everything will be destroyed.

Pratima ji was alert. She knew Rik and also Triss. He was harmless but fickle and she was calm but sensitive. If he hurt her anyhow nobody knew how far Dev could go.

¤¤¤¤¤

"You misunderstood him Manik. If he decided to take back his steps I don't know  what would have happened." Triss said. She was zipping Nilu's bag while Manik sat on her bed holding aunt's hand.
"Why couldn't you tell me kiddo? I would have come down to you as urgently as possible." Manik said looking back at Triss's face.
"You answered it yourself my baby bear. How could I make you leave your dream? Wasn't it the most important part of your life?" She said sitting beside him.
"So you are saying that Dev bhai had been really nice to you?" Manik asked placing his head on her shoulder.
"Surprisingly, yes!" She said and smiled.  He exhaled a deep breath and said "surprising enough."
"Now will you please go and get freshened? I am leaving for Nilu's place." She said.
"Triss, will you buy me those chocolate eggs today ?" Nilu asked.
"Of course love!" She said and pulled his cheeks.

¤¤¤¤¤

"Its nice to see you here after so many years Ritwik." Pratima ji said while placing the tray of food on the bedside table.
"Nice to see you too Pratima ji. You good?" Rik asked.
"Yes, I am fine. Here.." she placed two towels on the bed, "get freshened and eat the food. You must be tired."

"Thanks. By the way, where is Martha?" He asked placing his things here and there.
"She left in the afternoon as usual." She answered.
"That I know, but she will be coming back. I have some plans with her. So if she comes,  please send her to my room." He said folding his t-shirts.

"Okay" said Pratima ji. Her voice was seemingly skeptical.
"What? Is there any problem Pratima ji?" He asked raising his eyebrows.
"No, not at all. It's just that.. umm" Pratima ji hesitated.
"What?" Seemingly loosing patience he asked again.
"We have a few guests here Ritwik. So if you could please tell Martha not to roam around that would be really helpful." She paused to think about something and said " Also , for some reasons Martha seems to dislike Teressa. The girl is already going through a lot." Suddenly Rik raised his hand and said, "you want me to think about a complete stranger? And why are you keeping so many outsiders here. Don't they have anywhere else to go to. Martha has every right to dislike anyone. She is an independent woman. At least she doesn't need someone else to feed her."
"Ritwik!" Pratima ji  shouted. "Do you even know her? You should not say something like this about a person who is unknown to you."
Ritwik rolled his eyes.
"However, I'll ask her to stay inside her room. I should be leaving now." She said.
Ritwik kept placing his things while he suddenly said, "seems like you all are quite hypnotized by her. But I am not one of you. Keep your precious girl away from me. That will be better for her."

Pratima ji shook her head in hopelessness and left.

¤¤¤¤¤

"What?!" Manik shouted drawing everyone's attention. "Where is he now?" He picked up his car keys. "I am coming. Please do something.. whatever you find suitable. Please!" He disconnected the call and everyone looked at him.

"Dev bhai's car has met with an accident. They have taken him to a hospital. I need to leave Pratima ji." Manik started sweating.
Pratima ji, visibly tensed held his hand and said "I'll go with you."

¤¤¤¤¤

Rik entered the mansion with Martha.
He had his dinner outside with her.
The mansion had never been welcoming but this time it seemed lifeless.
When at the door, he suddenly realized that he left his phone in his car. He opened the door for Martha and went back to his car. Coming back to the door he unlocked the screen only to find 17 missed call notifications from mostly Manik's and Pratima ji's number.
This was unusual. Everyone in this house knew about his lifestyle. No one should be worrying about him being late. However he called Manik.
"Rik bhai.. where were you? I called you so many times." Manik said from the other end.
"I went out on a date. What ha.." he couldn't finish what he was saying as Manik's voice broke.
"Dev bhai had an accident and he doesn't seem to be in a good condition." Manik cried.
"What?!" He brushed his hair with his fingers.
"Where are you? I am coming." He said.
"But please be careful and do not inform Triss about all these things. Do you know if she has returned or not?" Manik asked.
"Manik, we are in a much serious situation. I think you can think about her later. Wait there I am coming." He disconnected the call and ran inside.

"Martha I'll ask someone to drop you. I have something important to deal with. And.." he was talking to Martha when Tinku ji cleared his throat from behind.

"What's it?" Rik asked him.
"Sir ji, ma'am has not returned yet. It's 10.30pm already." Tinku ji said.
"Who ma'am?" He asked feeling clueless.
"Sir ji, Teressa ma'am." Tinku ji said again.
Suddenly a weird sensation shot through his whole body.
"By what time does she arrive usually?"  He asked being abnormally calm.
"She arrives by 6.30 to 7.00 PM usually." Tinku ji said.
"Did she call you or anyone?" He asked ignoring an unknown nervousness.
"No, but I did. I asked her to come back as early as possible and mistakenly told her about Mr. Nagpati's situation. I am really sorry sir. I couldn't understand what to do.." Tinku ji hung his head somehow realizing the huge mistake he had done unknowingly.

Something changed. He could  feel his nervousness was being overpowered by his anger. His breathing became frequent. He closed his eyes and continued clenching and unclenching his fists when Martha spoke.
"Are you okay? What happened to Mr. Nagpati? Do you want me to come with you?" She asked.
He started loosing his senses although he tried really hard to play decent. "Ask Ram Singh to drop you." He said.

"I don't think leaving you alone here would be the best idea Rik. I am staying here with you." She said adamantly.

"I asked you to leave Martha. I hope you have heard me clear enough." He said clenching his jaw and keeping his eyes closed.
"Do you really  want me t.." Martha started saying something but before she could finish her sentence Rik opened his eyes which somehow turned red and growled loud " GET THE FUCK OUT RIGHT NOW!"