Chapter 28

Back to contemporary....

"H-her upper body parts got p-paralyzed too?" Dev's heart stopped beating anymore. He couldn't gather the courage to turn around and face her. This can't be happening!

The most daring, the most powerful man was searching for the right words to answer her question.
"Dev.." she whispered making Dev clench his eyes "look at me." Dev's breathing became heavier. But he knew he had to.

Amongst all these the only person who seemed even more bewildered was Arjun. He could sense the tension but the thing that surprised him was seeing the infamous Mr. Daivik Raj Nagpati in this condition. A man who always seemed to be too confident to deal with anything was unable to look straight in Triss's eyes.

"Uhm.. We'll take her to another doctor Teressa. Trust me she will be fine" Arjun said looking at her.
"I asked someone else to look at me." She said. Dev gulped down the last remaining piece of courage and looked up at her.

Her big eyes were filled with tears, her lips were trembling. She placed her left hand on the wall for support. The whole picture was unbearable for him.

"Th-this is just an assumption." He began, he felt that he was loosing patience already "Dr. Hembram, will you please tell her what's going on in detail.." he growled.

"Mr. Nagpati is right Triss. We are not certain. We decided to run few more tests on her. Please don't lose hope this early." Arjun looked at her. Deep down he knew it had already gone out of anyone's hand. But he could also see what could happen if he said that. "Give it some time" he said but he wanted to change the topic, so he continued "have you informed your brother. I mean Revathi ji's son?" She shook her head and said "the number I have says it is invalid, I have asked Julian aunty to send a letter to their regional head office. That seemed the only option left. I don't know if my aunt has any other contact number or so." She responded and Dev felt relieved.
"I think we need to get going now? I have some urgent business to deal with. You take my keys and go sit in the car. I'll come down in a moment." Dev went close to her and gave her the keys.
She looked at him in nervousness and finally he cupped her face and wiped a tear with his thumb. "I promise you'll never be alone" he said "sit back in the car I am coming." She nodded and left.

"Dr. Hembram.." Dev began  "I think I have been a little too harsh to you lately. I apologize for that. I just want you to help her out, that's it." He looked back at Arjun.
"No big deal Mr. Nagpati. She is a nice person. Caring for her.. I don't consider that to be a wrong gesture. I would've done the same thing." Arjun said while handing him the prescription. "Few of the medicines need to be bought from outside. That's all for today." Dev took the prescription and looked at him. "Is there any chance to see her a little healthier than this?" Arjun sighed to this question " not much, but let's e positive. Let's see what we can do."

The car door opened. Dev got inside and sat on the  driver's seat. She was not looking at him.
"She has no chance isn't it?" She said. Dev turned his face to look at her. "Actually, no one knows. She can get better or she cannot. This is life Teressa. But we can't stop hoping for the good, can we?" Dev said.
She bit her lips, silent tears continued to trail down her cheeks. "I believe she will be okay. I mean she will come back to her healthy self. She is nice woman. She knows how much you depend on her. If she tries she might get healthy again. Who knows." Dev finished and she looked up with a small smile plastered in her face.
"She will be" she said " but weren't you talking about some business?" Dev nodded.
"Yes, I have to go to Nagpati Empire. I can't really sit back at home and let my workers go nuts, can I?" He smiled. She smiled back at him. "No I didn't mean that. It's just.. umm.. " she hesitated. He frowned. "What's it Teressa? You can tell me whatever you want." She looked at him sheepishly and said "do you know where Nilu.. I mean Nilesh Sherpa stays? He is one of the students. Umm..I promised him something." Dev raised his eyebrows to this. "Yeah, why not. I'll drop you there. You just give me a call when you are done. Okay?" She smiled and said "thanks". Dev smiled back, "intriguing" he whispered to himself.

"Nilesh.. Nilesh.." Mr. Sherpa shouted "your teacher is looking for you beta." It was a small but beautiful wooden hut. Triss was standing outside when she heard light but steady footsteps were coming closer to where she was standing. The tiny figure appeared in front of her and looked at her with a huge smile as if he knew who was at the door. "May I come in Mr. Nilesh Sherpa?" She asked. He nodded and said "You may" with the same smile plastered on his face.
They spent the evening playing, talking, laughing, in a nutshell 'living'. Triss couldn't remember when was the last time she smiled so honestly. She finds him quite similar to her. She understands his silence, his expectations. She was about to leave when he held her back with her finger. "I'll come back to you soon" she said while kneeling down. She placed one hand on his cheek and kissed him on his forehead.
"Mr. Sherpa, you are really lucky to have him. He is such a nice kid." She said while taking her bag. Mr. Sherpa smiled and said "thank you madam, he seems to like you a lot. He usually doesn't smile that much." She turned her face to peep at the then busy Nilu with his crayons from the side of the curtain. "Umm.. I wanted to ask you for something." She said. Mr. Sherpa nodded his head and said "yes madam."  "Would you mind if I drop him here after school or if he stays back with me till the evening somedays?" She asked. "That will be my pleasure madam, he will be happy, he will be in a good environment, what more can I ask." He said. Triss smiled and said, "okay then I'll take your leave today. Please let me know if he needs anything."