Chapter 5

Daivik:

It has already been so many years, but this dream never stopped haunting me. I was 6 years old when my parents brought me here.This estate belonged to an old friend of my father’s, he in turn bought it from someone else. The very day we visited this place my life changed to this mess. Back at home, I could not sleep properly, I started having weird dreams, but in every dream this mansion used to be the only thing in common, and also this girl with curly hair, husky eyes, beautiful smile… which immediately used to change into fear. When I was 19, I got the chance and I bought it. Now this mansion belongs to me. I moved here with the belief that things might change after I start living here, but nothing changed.

Every night I used to see her drowning helplessly, looking at me in a manner as if only I can save her. I so wanted to save her, so wanted to hold her tight in my arms, but I could not touch her. It made me restless every night, her sound of giggling turning into an earth shattering shriek, her helplessness used to kill me everyday… it kills me every day. But this time it will not be the same, I will not let anything happen to her. But sometimes I get confused as to “ why does she drown in front of me every time? Am I the reason behind her misery? Should I stay away from her?”
I was occupied with my own self when suddenly I heard Manik shouting to someone, he seemed restless for some reasons. I hurried out of my room, running through the main staircase I saw Manik sitting on the central couch with a girl in his arms who seemed to be the girl he was talking about.  “What was her name again?” I tried hard to recollect in my mind, “ yes.. Triss it is” I confirmed to myself.

***************

“What’s the matter Manik? Is she alright?” Daivik asked him worriedly. “She seems to be. I think she skipped her lunch or something. This girl is a total irresponsible dumbass when it comes to herself.” Manik was totally stressed seeing her this way.

“ She might be very important to him ” Daivik asserted to himself. “Let me call the doctor and till that time take her up to the guest room. I’ll tal..”

Daivik's words stopped midair.

“No.. it is not happening, it can’t be happening.. “ he said to himself.

“ Bhai, I forgot to introduce you to her, however this is Tri.. “ Manik’s words were interrupted, “Teressa Brown..” said Daivik, as if he has forgotten the fact that he’s surrounded by so many people, he was in a trance. “ You know her?” asked a visibly surprised  Manik . It took a minute or so for Daivik to respond to Manik’s question.. “y..you told me about her, that’s why a gathered few details, that’s all" Daivik lied. “Oh! I actually got surprised. However, you are the best bhai..” said Manik happily. He was just about to pick Triss up when “ ummm.. you go to your room, get freshened up,  I am taking her to the guest room..” said Daivik. “ You will? thanks bhai, this really means a lot. I’ll just get freshened. Till that time Miss Pratima, can you please arrange something to eat, I am starving..” Manik said making a crybaby face. The old lady smiled back at him and said “ just as you want sir..” then she left for the kitchen.

***********

Daivik:

That day I was in a hurry, the meeting was really urgent. I asked Joseph to drive as fast as possible and he did as I ordered. But who knew that Time has something else in my. I was totally invested in my laptop when something horrible happened that took away all my focus. “Was that a girl jumped in front of my car.. to save that puny dog.. what the hell..!!” I shouted and was about to get out of the car to shout the shit out of her when I got to see her face and my body stopped reacting, it went numb. “Sir, do you want me to get down and give her a piece of my mind? “ asked Joseph angrily. I can’t recollect what gotten into me but I gave him an intimidating look instinctively and said “ let’s move.” He was shocked, but he did as I said.
On my way I could not stop thinking about what just happened ,“ did I just see the girl from my dreams? Is Dr. Chatterjee right..? What is happening?” That night I could not sleep at all. I roamed around here and there. At the morning I could not control myself and within a blink of an eye I was driving like a crazy person. When I stopped it was the bakery shop from yesterday in front of me. It was 5.00 A.M , I was waiting outside that shop. By 5.30 she came out. “She is so pretty my goodness”, I said instinctively. I was awestruck at her beauty. Her dark curly hair was so unmanageable and those husky eyes, I’ve seen them so many times. All of these made her even more beautiful. I got to know that her name is Teressa Brown. Everything related to her seemed pretty to me. She was trying hard to open the shutter,  it took her some 3 minutes but she finally succeeded. I smiled at how she was talking to the shutter, “ please.. get opened now.. don’t give me a hard time you stubborn shutter.. please.. please.. please..” , she was pleading. Finally it opened and she said, “ thank you .. you stubborn thing.” She is insane, different. She got inside the shop and what surprised me more was that on the left side of the shop there was a small Shiv Ling ( symbolizes Mahadev, respected and worshipped as the god of the gods in Hindu culture particularly) on a shelf. She went to that Shiv Ling, folded her hands into a namaste and lit up the oil lamp (pradeep). It surprised me. “ Isn’t her name Teressa Brown?”

From that day onwards I couldn’t stop myself from visiting her place. I used to leave by 4 AM in the morning and wait till she completed her Puja and then leave.