Chapter 40

The wood was wild but breathtakingly beautiful, just like her.

She kept advancing towards him with that heavenly smile plastered on her lips. Her curls kept bouncing here and there due to the wind.
"Aren't you cold?" The husky voice asked.
She looked at him and nodded.
"Come here, let me keep you warm." He spread his arms.
Smiling, she started running towards him. The sound of her nupur was so soothing to his ears.
She came close to him. He wrapped his arms around her and placed his chin on top of her head. His eyes were closed.

This was what he kept searching for his whole life.

Peace.

She kept her head on his chest and asked,
"Can you please hold me tighter?"
The edge of his lips slowly moved upwards forming a smile.
He nodded and whispered,

"I vow.. I vow to forever hold you this tight and never let you go."

She nestled more into his chest. And he brought down his head to the crook of her neck.

But then something broke..
Some people were shouting..

And a strong punch..

He was forcefully pulled out of the best dream of his life. Someone held him with his collar and kept on punching his jaw.
He tasted iron inside his mouth.

Blood.

But he still couldn't focus on anything. Everything around him was blurry.

And then he heard it.. the nupur. The sound was getting closer and clearer.
He tried to open his eyes not because someone was punching him but because he wanted to see her face.

It felt like he was dying. He was striving hard to breathe. But once, only once he wanted to see her.

He forcefully opened his eyes.
Everything that kept happening around him was slowly registering into his brain. As if everything was happening in slow motion.

That was.. that was Aditya. He was punching him. He was furious. Every vein in his body was almost visible from outside.

And there, just behind him stood Ashok, Ambika's brother, trying to hold him back.

Ambika....

The mere name brought a small smile on his face.

But where was she?

His eyes kept searching for her until they fell on the very front of his almost limp body.

She stood there with both of her arms horizontally spread in the air.

"Enough! You will not hurt him anymore!" She shouted at Aditya.

Who seemed even more furious as if he was under a frenzy. This was that kind of an anger that makes you calm from outside. Just like the silence before the storm.

"I see. So protective!" He hissed with an evil smirk on his face.

"You are misunderstanding the whole situation Aditya. It's obviously not what you are thinking. And he is innocent." She said.

Pratap was still in a trance.He was mesmerized to see this tiny figure defending him, fighting for him.

"Innocent. Aren't you Pratap?" Aditya kept advancing towards him slowly.
His eyes ablaze with fury.
"What did you do to my girl that she is ready to go against me? Your brainwashing skills are quite popular though."  He said menacingly coming even closer to both of them.