Chapter 20

Triss:

"Teressa?.." I could hear a faint but familiar voice whispering against my ear. "Hey.. Teressa, wake up. We have reached your place." Someone was shaking me gently. I fluttered my eyes open to see the familiar face so close to mine. He was staring me in the eyes. I could hear his rapid heartbeat. "You?" I smiled at him. " Hmm.." he said as he pulled a strand of my hair placing it behind my ears. His eyes were so intense.

Suddenly my phone started vibrating and thanks to God it pulled me out of my trance. The reality hit me hard as I understood that my head was resting against Mr. Nagpati's hard chest. His intoxicating scent engulfed me as his intense eyes were set on me as if I am some sort of a puzzle or something that he needed to complete.

"I-I am.. so sorry. I just couldn't.. oh my god.." It couldn't have been worse. I drooled? On his suit? Tell me it was a nightmare. I immediately pulled out the handkerchief from my bag as I totally forgot about the phone and was about to clean it off when he said, " it's okay. Don't bother. Let's get out of the car now. We have works to do." He opened the car door from his side and got down, leaving me craving for his scent and god knows with how deep of an embarrassment.

"Then it's final. This is the agreement paper. You have two days. Please read thoroughly and tell me if you need any changes." I was bringing some homemade snacks and coffee when I overheard them talking. I entered and placed the tray in front of him. He looked at the tray before parting me a small glance. I stood by the door. "One thing I wanted to clarify, if you don't mind." He said looking at my aunt. Julian aunty was sitting on the bed beside my aunt. "Feel free Mr. Nagpati." My aunt said with her usual kind smile. " The chefs, they might not know the specialties of your foods here. I hope you'll be able to guide them with that." My aunt nodded and said, "provided they have to come upstairs. As you can see, I can't really walk." She smiled as he nodded at her. He placed the coffee mug down and stood up abruptly. "Umm, so we think we are done here. Thank you for your time Mrs. Bhutiya. Let me know if there is anything you need." He straightened up his suit and looked back at me. "So, I am taking my leave today." He stared at me for a few more seconds and walked out of the room.

I was looking at his moving figure when the sound of the mug breaking into pieces shook me to the core and I immediately snapped my head to see my aunt shaking badly, toes curled, eyes rolled backwards. Julian aunty was trying hard to calm her down. I ran to hold her.

"She needs to be transferred to a hospital immediately. Let me call an ambulance." Arjun was sitting on the chair beside aunt's bed. I hardly knew anyone or anything here so the very moment I saw her in that condition the only person I could think of was him. Surprisingly, Mr. Nagpati was also standing at the door. Probably he heard the commotion while he was leaving. "How are you feeling?" Arjun asked aunt. She smiled and closed her eyes to imply the message that she was okay which she was obviously not. She then looked at the table beside her and pointed her finger towards the papers kept on it. I looked at the papers. These were the agreement papers she was asking for. "Why does she need it now?" I asked to myself, anyhow I handed those to her. Then again she pointed towards the pen kept on the same table. I gave her that too. To my surprise she was signing the papers, without even reading them once. Why was she doing that. Arjun frowned while Mr. Nagpati came forward. " This can be done later Mrs. Bhutiya." But she was behaving stubborn. Finally she left it but not before completing it totally. My hands were shaking as I was seeing her closing her eyes slowly, as her breathing was becoming uneven. I held her hand in mine as I said, " aunt? Stay awake. The a-ambulance will just arrive. Everything will be fine. D-do you hear me? Everything will be fine!" Another hand enveloped my hand. I looked beside me to see Arjun. "Don't worry. It is just the injection that I have injected to calm her. She will be fine soon." I turned my head to see another man staring intensely at my enveloped hand with a blank expression. I could see his jaw clenching. His mare presence made a difference, it was giving me confidence. Why did I feel like this?

I could see Mr. Nagpati talking to a doctor. Arjun was somewhere in the hospital handling some other stuffs. I was waiting, waiting for my only family to be okay and was sitting on the bench like a stone. Nervousness was the only sensation that I could feel. Suddenly I looked around to find myself totally alone in the corridor. "But he was just standing here. Where did he go?" I asked to myself. "I knew nothing.. no one here. I am all alone! Everyone left me alone!" This thought only made me shiver. I tried to stand up but I felt too dizzy to do that so I sat back.

" Why? Why me? Why pushing me towards the edge all the time. Why do I have to loose everyone.. everything? Why are you punishing me like this? Why can't you just take me instead?" It's been a while since I was sitting alone, waiting for him to show up. I was shouting, looking outside the window, when someone said from behind, " No one can take you, no one will dare to, not even the God!" I turned around to find Mr. Nagpati standing by the door with his back pressed to it. I stood up abruptly, I couldn't remember what had gotten into me as I ran to him, totally ignoring his surprised look, as if I was lost in the crowd. " Where were you?.. I couldn't find you. I thought you left. Why did you leave me alone?"

I was shouting at the man who was practically helping me with God knew how many things. I was crying and I couldn't stop it. I have never felt this lost in my whole life. He raised his hand slowly and placed that on my right cheek, wiping away the tears. For a second, just a second I saw a hint of sadness in his eyes or as it seemed to me. " I went down to bring you something to eat. You cannot starve, can you? Here, have it." He placed the packet on the bench as I nodded. I went back to sit down on the bench. When he turned towards the door again and I couldn't help but stood up with a nervous look. He turned around with his always blank face as he said, "I am just going to talk to the receptionist about some stuffs. You complete eating by then." He took a few steps towards the door again but he turned around immediately as I was still standing there, looking at him with the same nervousness. "I will never leave you alone Teressa. I promise. Now, eat the food. I'll be right back." I looked at his eyes and they implied the same commitment. It was weird but I was comforted by this. I nodded and started unwrapping the packet.