Chapter 36

"You have nothing to lose when you have absolutely nothing at all." Pratap smiled and whispered to himself. Laying his head on the bed he sat on the wooden floor while the bed kept supporting his back.
He kept looking straight at the ceiling and the tears kept pouring out of his reddened eyes.
Scattered all over the floor were pieces of glasses. One could easily miss his bleeding hand that held the almost empty bottle of alcohol and also the wall beside it which was covered with blood.

But the way he kept finishing each bottle and breaking the same with his right hand the whole family would have been worried sick, at least at a point, to witness the mess he had made only if it was any other day.

Or might not be. They might have just left him alone to deal with his own misery. They might never pluck up the courage to open the door without his permission. After all, this was how it had always been.

¤¤¤¤¤

"A day will come, when you will watch this Puja from the very front. No hiding in the terrace. No shedding tears. I promise you." Aditya whispered holding Ambika to his chest. They were covered in a blanket. Ambika could see a few glimpses of the ceremony going on over there at the temple.
She regretted letting the opportunity slip out of her hand. She could have been one of the crowd. She had been given the chance. But her father's orders had always been the final decision for her. She sighed.
"I could only thank you for making this possible every year." She said.
"Really? Like you really want to thank me?" Aditya smirked.
"I know your moves mister. This will not work." She said pinching his nose.
He faked disappointment and turned his face to the other side.
She shook her head as if in understanding and turned his face with her hands making him look directly at her.
His eyes immediately fell on her lips and he swallowed hard. His breathing became heavier.
Understanding the situation she diverted her eyes but his hands held her face in between them making her look back at him.
This time he was looking directly into her eyes as if daring her to divert her eyes again.
She could feel his frequent breathing on her lips.
His stare became more intense.
Their lips were inches away from each other. And before she could think of anyother ways to avoid the inevitable outcome her lips were captured by him in a passionate kiss.
A weird sensation ran down her spine.
She closed her eyes instinctively.

His hands kept moving everywhere, from her hair to her neck; from her face to her collarbone. Her senses were overwhelmed with a new found feeling.
It continued until both of them ran out of breath.
Panting,she kept her eyes closed. When she opened those, glistening with tears the honey brown eyes were fixed on her. The eyes that promised to love her for eternity without uttering anything.

¤¤¤¤¤

It was quite late. Although Aditya asked her to get down she remained stubborn. She wanted to spend a little more time alone. As she kept looking at the temple she thanked Mahadev for ever considering her for Aditya.

She unwrapped herself from the blanket and pulled it into her arms. She needed to get down stealthily. She knew she was not allowed to get out of her room on this day. But nobody knew she broke it long back. She smiled to herself thinking of every time she broke a rule. She loved doing that.

She got down to the first floor and the glass breaking sound mingled with Pratap's heart wrenching cry startled her so much so that the blanket fell from her hands.
His remaining at the mansion at that hour was surprising.
But it was obvious that something was certainly not well.
She closed her eyes and inhaled a huge amount of oxygen. As if automatically her legs started moving towards his room.
It was already uncomfortable to stand in that huge corridor alone. On top of that she was scared of what she might see inside. She questioned herself as to whether she should get inside or not. But another cry made her shiver down the spine.
She knocked on the wooden door. But got no answers at all.
"Chhoto babu.." she called out. But again there were no answers.
Finally she decided to stop waiting and pushed the door open at once but what she witnessed inside terrified her to the core.

The room was dimly lit. Glass pieces lay scattered all over the floor and amongst this mess was lying the man. Blabbering to himself inaudible things. Blood flowing down his right hand.

The visual was impossibly painful and unbearable for her. Before she could even understand her eyes filled with tears. She couldn't convince herself of the fact that someone's life could be this pathetic. The man who seemed so frightening now seemed so vulnerable.
She started walking inside the room. She was trying to be cautious about the glass pieces but she needed to turn the lights on so that she could see better.

She carefully went towards the switch board and turned the lights on.
But the very moment she turned around she stepped on a few of the glass pieces and immediately a cry came out of her mouth waking the demon up.

"A-Ambika..?! No!" The deep husky voice uttered. He was striving hard to open his eyes."N-no.. no.. no! Please .. please d-don't come any closer.. there are a lots of them." He mumbled while trying his best to sit up and failing miserably.

"You.... do not move! Stay still.." Ambika commanded.
Even in that state her tonality surprised him. His eyes widened and he asked "W-what?!" As if someone using that tone on him was impossible.

"I said stay put! How dare you talk to someone about their safety when you have no trace of that term in your own lifestyle? You call it living? " she shouted and started cleaning the floor.

Pratap continued looking at her in awe. His mouth was agape at her audacity. No one ever had the courage to look into his eyes and talk to him like that.

His whole life he had craved for it but this was a first.
And he wanted it more.