Chapter 24

She was running through the woods, in the total opposite direction of the Shiv temple. Her nupur was making the usual soothing sound. Her husky doe eyes were filled with positivity. The saffron saree wrapped her petite figure perfectly, and her unmanageable curls were dangling harmoniously with the waves of air. She certainly knew where to find Aditya, as she could hear her brother Ashok's voice from a little far. She started humming the song her brother was singing. Ashok taught her how to sing and he took pride on the fact that Ambika was far better than him when it came to singing.

Her brother and Aditya were best of friends. That was why when Savitri aunty asked her of Aditya's whereabouts she knew where to find him.

His father was going to visit the mansion. He visited on every Shiv Ratri celebration. It has been a tradition of the Dev Barman family. The mansion was going through a lots of decorations. But she had nothing to do with it. She was helping Savitri aunty but she knew that she was not allowed to come out of her room whenever their Boro Saheb visited. She couldn't witness the Puja from the very front ever in her whole life.

"She is right Adi, you should go. Savitri aunty is doing everything alone. She might really need you." Ashok said placing his flute beside him. "They are coming tomorrow, what am I suppose to do today? It's nothing, pishi (aunty) just wants to convince me to talk to Mr. Dev Barman. And as you know I don't want to." Aditya looked at the waterfall beside him. They were sitting on the usual place, a huge stone. He was wearing a light green kurta and an off-white coloured pajama. His hair was neatly back brushed and his honey brown eyes were filled with disappointment.
"But still, can you please come? She sent me to bring you back home. It is my responsibility now. And whatever it might be, he is still your father Aditya."

Now he snapped his head back to her. "Don't Ambika! Not you at least." He stood up and started walking through the woods.
She looked at Ashok with pleading  eyes. "Don't look at me like that, I can do nothing here. Go, run behind him. You knew it was a touchy topic." Ashok said as he shook his head and she started running behind him into the woods.

"Aditya..stop.." She was panting. "Can't you listen to me for once?" He continued walking through the woods, without looking back. He knew he was hurting her but he also knew that his anger towards the matter was worth it.

"Aditya Dev Barman.. you stop there right now otherwise I'll not eat today, got it?" Now he knew that all the roads were blocked for him. This was something  she usually did, whenever she found no other way to calm him. He stood there without turning back. His jaw clenched, his hands on both of his sides in a tight fist. Suddenly a known warmth wrapped his chest from behind. "I-I am sorry, I never wanted to hurt you." She was weeping and the iceberg started melting.

He closed his eyes immediately. All of his emotions bundled up together into one strong sensation and without thinking once he turned around wrapped that petite figure into his arms and placed his head on the crook of her neck. He clenched his eyes and a drop of tear fell down on her neck as she tightened her grip.

The only thing he treasured from the day he was sent to this mansion was this bundle of kindness, this source of optimism. He could never hurt her. The main thing that bothered him every year was how he won't be able to see her for the coming seven days. How Ashok would need to bring her out to the temple at midnight without letting a soul know. How the biggest devotee of Mahadev gets to see only a few glimpses of the Puja from her terrace.

He always craved to have her in his arms on those days, he wanted to make her feel important, valuable. Who was he lying to, he knew how he craved every day, every minute, every second to be near her, to get to inhale her intoxicating scent, to get to see her beautiful smile, to get to hear her otherworldly voice, and above all get to witness her kindness, the way she always made him feel loved. He was vulnerable in front of her, he loved her way too much for his own good. He loved her so much that he could go to any length just to have her in his arms. He knew how she has turned into a drug to him and how he could never survive without seeing, touching or inhaling her scent.

Back to contemporary..

"Who is this girl in the picture?" Triss asked without realizing his presence just behind her. "I don't know.." his husky voice and warm breath reached through her curls and she stiffened on spot. "I found it inside the store room when I purchased this mansion. Do you find it beautiful?" He whispered while staring at the crook of her neck. "I - I find it intriguing." To this Dev closed his eyes and leaned a little too close to her neck while inhaling her scent. "Whoever the painter might be had immense talent, the picture seems so real, it.." but before she could finish her words her breath hitched in her throat, her eyes went wide.

His huge hands engulfed hers from both sides, his whole bare body was pressed against her back and he has buried his head into her hair. She could feel him inhaling sharply. Her breathing became heavier. She tried to get out of his clutch but her body betrayed her, it went totally numb. Her eyes closed without her consent. She could feel his hands moving upwards. His fingers playing allover her arms.
Then it started to wound around her waist.

"You feel it.. can't you? You feel this weird bond as much as I do." He whispered keeping his head buried in her hair. "W-what bond?" She tried to be loud but it came as a whisper too. "You don't understand it?" She shook her head in answer. "You do, but you won't admit. I know you, you would have never allowed anyone to hold you like this, to get this close to you Teressa."  That ultimate thought triggered her and she immediately pulled herself out of his embrace. The shock was evident on both of their faces. They have just made a blunder.