Chapter 46

Dev

But what I saw burned me from inside!

Wrapped in a cherry red woollen shawl she went out of the door and Rik went right after her closing the same behind him.

"What was it? Where are they going? When did they become so close?" These were the questions that started blinding me.

Without thinking another second I started climbing down the stairs.

¤¤¤¤¤

Ritwik

She continued walking. To my surprise she was walking towards the woods. I tensed up. She should not be going there. I immediately cleared my throat. To which she slowly turned her head to look at me. The eyes, something inside me screamed that they will be the death of me but I didn't know I would like to die a thousand deaths to get a single glance from her.

"It's the woods there, nobody is allowed to be inside it you know." I said pulling my lower lip between my teeth.

"Um.. is there.. it's fine, I should go back inside." She said and turned around to leave.

"Is there.. what? If you want to know something you can ask me?" I asked her. She slowly moved her eyes from the grass below to mine. And I had to, I had to hold back the urge to cup her face and plant a kiss on her lips.

"I-is there a waterfall nearby? I can hear from my room. Seems like it comes from the woods." She said in a very articulate manner. But her curiosity was worrying me somehow.

"I think there is one." I said and immediately and idea occurred in my mind.

"Will you mind if I ask you to have a morning car ride with me?" I asked with all the courage I had in me.

" umm.. I think I should go inside for now. Thank you for the offer though." She gave me a small smile and started walking back. But I was adamant so I shouted.
"Do you know that I am allergic to dogs?" I asked her. Her steps stopped at their spot. She looked at me over her shoulder.

"I had to carry someone's lovely Bruno a few days back." I said smirking at her.
Now she looked totally puzzled.

"Don't get nervous. I just want a car ride and that will compensate everything." I said winking at her. To this she smiled and shook her head in a way as if she was dealing with a 5 years old kid.

"Fine then. Take me to a car ride. But I have my classes. You have to drop me back before it starts." She said and I was left with only one thought : How can a girl of her age be so well organized and sensible. She was captivating me with her pleasantness, her personality. She was different. A sort of different that attracts you dangerously.

"Let's get into the car then." I said and she nodded. She doesn't talk much. But in a way she was communicative more than others. Her eyes, they said a lot. And whenever they said, it was the truth.

That's where I saw her love for Dev, her hurt for Dev, her hopelessness for Dev. Something inside me was forcing me to change it into me. But she was not an ordinary woman. The change cannot be forced.

She got into the passenger seat and I started our journey.

We were reaching close to our destination. My music system was playing a violin cover. I was about to turn it off when her hand reached mine. She wanted to listen to it. I pulled my hands away from the switch.

"Close your eyes." I said. She looked at me with utter confusion.
"I have a surprise for you." I added. She closed her eyes. I opened the car door , got out, moved to her seat and slowly helped her out of the car.

I placed my hands on her shoulders and directed her towards the destination. I know she could hear it. But I wanted to see her reaction when she sees it.

"Open you eyes." I whispered. She slowly opened her eyes and I got to see something that I might never forget in my entire life. A smile so genuine, I could never believe existed.

"The waterfall that begins inside the woods, ends here

"The waterfall that begins inside the woods, ends here." I added. She looked at me in surprise. Her eyes became glittery. She looked back at the waterfall surrounded by greenery infront of us and this time her smile was otherworldly. She was happy.

"Thank you." Her small voice uttered without looking at me.

I was standing right behind her, my face was inches away from her curls but I could smell it. It intoxicated my senses. She kept looking at the natural beauty infront of her and I kept looking at the piece of nature before me. My eyes closed on their own accord. But the sane part in me still kept reminding me of the boundaries. I hated the boundaries.

¤¤¤¤¤

Dev

I was standing far enough to hear what they said but close enough to see him holding her shoulders. Her eyes were closed. He was holding her shoulders. Fucking holding her!

The rage inside me was building slowly. I saw him whispering something to her. She nodded her head and opened her eyes and I got to see something that I might never forget in my entire life. A smile so genuine, I could never believe existed.

She was happy. Something I always failed to make her but Rik seemed capable of. I hated myself for my incapacity and clenched my eyes in disappointment.

"This is what I want. Don't I? I want her to be happy. To be in peace." I said to myself. My eyes opened to see them standing.

"But she needs to be happy with me. I cannot do this. I cannot let someone else touch her." I kept on talking when my eyes fell on my dear brother who seemed to be sniffing her from behind. Who seemed to be drowning into something that was way too dangerous for him.

"I dare you Ritwik!" I smirked.

I was fuming and was ready to explode. I needed to leave this place before the devil in me woke up. I got inside my car and drove back.