Chapter 31

A feeling of suffocation started choking her. The way the man standing infront was staring at her without even blinking once was uncomfortable. She closed her eyes and clenched those tight. She could feel his heavy breath nearing her face inch by inch. She strived to open her eyes but couldn't. The only thing came to her mind was running and that she did. She brought her hands infront and pushed Pratap with the last bit of her power. The push did two things together firstly it jerked Pratap out of whatever he was about to be doing and secondly made him understand that Ambika was not that easy to achieve.
He immediately turned around shouting her name "Ambika.. wait! Ambika..!" But she was not listening to anything and before he could even get close to the stairs his jaw clenched. Something more disturbing caused him close his eyes and turn his face in disgust.
The girl who seemed to have affected his iron coated heart so deeply threw herself with ease into the arms of his twin brother in a manner as if that was the ultimate safe escape.
His instincts made him turn around immediately. He was about to get back to his room when suddenly his mind changed.

Although they failed to see him he stood there listening to them quite clearly.
"Ambika..?" The deep voice echoed while she was in his arms. Pratap could see Aditya holding her tight in his arms.  "Hey.. what happened?" He asked but Ambika didn't budge and kept being in his arms. Aditya continued patting the back of her head. Finally she moved and came out of his embrace.
"Now.. will you please tell me what happ.. wait.." he looked upstairs and then back at her. "What were you doing upstairs?" Ambika looked puzzled for a moment as she looked down at her feet.
"You went to his room?" Though surprised Aditya's voice seemed to reflect his immense trust on her.
She peaked at him from under her eyelashes, as if she did something that she was not supposed to do.
Aditya stared at her face for a few seconds and his smile widened. He came close to her and held her face in between his hands. Then joined his forehead to hers and said "did he scare you?"
She closed her eyes and whispered "he seemed scary but I have you. I am not scared."

That was it. Pratap strode back to his room lit a cigar and turned the lights off. He opened the door to the verandah that overlooked the wood. It was too cold outside but that seemed to have no effects on him. He stood there alone. His breathing became frequent. His whole body started to shake, not out of cold but out of rage. He gripped the railings as tightly as possible. His eyes remained fixed on the lit cigar.
" 'I have you.' Isn't it what you said? But you can't." He whispered, his eyes started filling up with tears, again not out of sorrow but out of anger. "You can't have him Ambika.. you can't!" He started shouting. "Either you be MINE and have ME as YOURS or you have nothing!" The shaking intensified and he again started whispering in his broken voice.
"Every good thing can't happen to him and you? You are the BEST sweetheart. I sacrificed everything, I can sacrifice even more but you do not seem to be one of them."  With this he started punching on the railings furiously. "He will pay for every single time he has touched you. Trust me he will..!"

The Puja was about to begin everyone was running around here and there but  Ambika was nowhere to be seen. Savitri stood infront of the main door asking some of the servants to bring the right things for the rituals going on in the temple. The whole mansion was decorated with flowers and diyas. Some others Purohits joined Purohit ji on his usual invitation. Everyone was busy doing things when Aditya entered with a huge group of people. Savitri welcomed each one of them heartily. She knew how much all of these people mean to Aditya. They all belonged to "Ekotro" (meaning 'together'). "Ekotro" was a home for those who needed it. Aditya was one lucky soul who was blessed enough to shoulder the responsibilities better than his own mother, who once started it.
They treated him like their everything. He was a son, a father, a friend, a brother; he was there everything, he was loved.

But there was a specific someone who never liked the way he was always loved by everyone. At the night of celebration when everyone decided to go to the temple he decided to stay back at the room for most of the day. It gave him a satisfactory feeling. A realization that he was particularly not alone. He had a companion. Although she was not close to him but very soon the gap will be covered. She will be with him in his arms; caring for him, worrying for him, telling him "I have you" and looking straight at him with those eyes filled with love. And what if she didn't do any of these, what if she never loved him back.. what if..
"There is no "what if", you are already mine Ambika!"