Chapter 16

Triss:

The next day went by as normally as possible. Although I was totally excited I felt bad that Manik didn’t call me back after the last conversation. I focused on the preparations that might help me in the interview and finally it was bedtime. I went to aunt’s room to bid her good night and then went back to my room with a bottle of water in my hand. That was a different story that I was unable to sleep. I was going through a lots of weird sensations, nervousness, excitement, curiosity and what not.

Finally my eyes were getting tired and I was almost drifting back to sleep when the continuous vibration of my phone startled and pulled me out of it. I brought it near my face and was obviously not surprised to see the name on it.

“Hey, all good?” I said trying hard not to fall asleep.

“Not much kiddo. I am leaving.” Said the familiar voice from the other end.

“Yeah, like, I already know that but are you feeling upset again? It’s for your own..” Obviously he just couldn’t let me finish mine as he said,

“I AM LEAVING RIGHT NOW AND I AM AT THE AIRPORT TRISS.” This totally pulled me out of my sleep.

“What!? What the heck.. why would you leave at 3 AM in the morning and above all you were supposed to leave the day after tomorrow. Isn't it? What is going on Manik?” This was uncalled for. What could happen suddenly that he needed to leave this urgently?
“Bhai needed to attend a very important gathering at South Africa but due to some other urgent matters he is unable to attend it and because I will be visiting the same country he just made me his representative and trust me I hate it more than anyone else.”

I didn’t know how to react. Although I was happy about him getting the chance to fulfill his dream but the thought of not being able to see him for months hurt me so much that without my knowing I started sniffling. I already miss him.

“Come back soon, please.” I said as I could hear him feeling the same way because of the weird prevailing silence.

He left a sigh and said, “ as soon as possible kiddo. You be a good girl and please don’t be that much clumsy as I won’t be around and my brother is an asshole!” At this I released a small laugh. I knew I would miss him like hell. Oh God! What was I supposed to do?

*Nagpati Mansion*

Daivik:

I couldn’t calm my nerves from the day I did that blunder. Who knew if Mrs. Bhutiya failed to keep her promise. If she told her even by mistake that I wanted to marry Teressa, she would never show up here. I told her at the very beginning that this part should be kept in secrecy between us only. That should be all. And if she let her know, she sure would face the consequences.

“What is this happening to me? Why am I behaving on impulse? But what else would I have done? I couldn’t let her go out of my life that easily after finally getting the chance to keep her close to me. And this fucking insecurity is making me crazy. I actually sent Manik away for her!? What is wrong with me?"

I was talking to my own self when suddenly my eyes fell on the small thing that was approaching towards the fountain at the very middle of the plot. She paused in front of it and continued staring at it in awe. Her curls were pulled back in a tidy ponytail, she was wearing  a maroon jumper and a sky blue jean. A long navy blue bag was hanging down from her right shoulder. She was surveying every single thing around her through her husky eyes. A smile was pasted on her lips all the while. This woman!

I totally forgot the fake purpose of calling her here when suddenly there was knock on the door. “Come in” I said, not taking my eyes off of the beautiful view that I was witnessing. “Dev, she has arrived. Should I take her to Headmistress Martha..?” It was Pratima ji. Her question bothered me. I did not turn around but I said what I needed to anyways. “Send her to my office and let me make it clear once and for all. SHE WILL NOT REPORT TO ANYONE OTHER THAN ME. Although no need to tell her about all these things.”
I could sense Pratima Ji’s confusion but I knew she was clever enough to understand what was going on. She nodded and said, “sending her up right away then.”  Another realization struck my mind immediately as I said, “No! Let her come inside first. Then inform her. One thing that I clearly don’t tolerate is lack of discipline Pratima ji and she is already late and I hate when someone shows reluctance towards work.” Pratima ji nodded and said, “I understand.”

She turned around to leave my room when I uttered something even more weird but probably obvious to my character, “ she should not know that she is special. She should be treated like everyone else here. I hope you’ll keep that in mind too.” She said, “ yes, Dev" and left.

I didn’t know what I was doing. I could just go and claim her as mine, she could have done nothing, no one could have. But there was a weird feeling, a sort of guilt that kept eating me from inside and obstructing me from making her mine. What I was hating the most was this new and unknown feeling, this WEAKNESS for a no one. I began to hate myself for this.

I was buttoning up my black suit when I heard another knock on the door. “Yes?” I uttered as Pratima ji came inside and said, “She is here, I made her sit outside your office.”
“Hmm, you may leave now. I'll take it from here.” I knew this was not an ordinary interview. I will be sitting in front of Teressa Brown, will be looking into her eyes, will be smelling that intoxicating scent of hers. The thought of which made me sweat already. How was I going to do it?

Triss:

I could smell him. I knew he was nearby. This nervousness was killing me and on top of that this gloomy corridor was so eerie. I was asked to sit here and wait for my interviewer to arrive. But what surprised me was the fact that it was only me who was sitting here. I knew that I was late but was I too late that all the other candidates were already gone? Keeping all these thoughts aside I tugged the small curls behind my ears and straightened my jumper again. I was checking the documents inside the file when a voice broke into the corridor and made me jump. “Get inside!” Mr. Devil Nagpati was standing in front of a huge white wooden door and indicated me to get inside that door.

“No,no,no,no.. this is not happening, he cannot be my interviewer. I am so loosing this job. You are screwed Teressa Brown!” I was mumbling to myself when he spoke again, “do you want to keep talking to yourself or get inside? I don’t have much time to waste. So, either you get inside or leave.” He was looking at his watch instinctively. 

I had no other options other than walking towards that hell. “Rude psychotic asshole!” I whispered to myself as he snapped  his head directly at me menacingly and said,” you said something?” I immediately replied with a big dramatic, “noooo!” He opened the door and got inside, I followed after him. His cold demeanor and emotionless face was even more stoic today and I knew I was going to suffer a lot!