Part 1

Cal is found, he's safe. Zeke is alive. The Stone's are doing good. The kidnappers weren't found under that frozen lake but police is on watch in case they show up anywhere near Ben's family, and Christmas is approaching. So that can be called a mission accomplished, right?

Jared Vasquez stood beside his nightstand, fixing the pillows above the sheets that he just unwrinkled. If Lourdes was here, she will be the one to do all the cleaning and organizing and packing for their trip but unfortunately, she's not. And God damn, why is he thinking of that? He's supposed to go on this trip to mend his heart, but he's starting to break it as of now.

Maybe that's what he'll do. Think of Michaela. Think of what could've been had he not trespassed in her apartment that night and confronted Zeke out of jealousy. Or maybe some time, he will also think of his wife who's nowhere to be found and obviously is resenting him. Him going to another place might be his distraction, but when he's all alone again, he will think of those what ifs. 

"Let's make the best out of it," he told himself then stood up straight before gathering his luggage and heading out. He will be away for a while. A Christmas vacation to Japan for a little recollection and renewal of his fucked-up self. But before going to JFK, he still needs to drop by the precinct, have a little talk with Captain Bowers and maybe a sneak peek of Michaela.

He drove until he reached the stairs that headed to the entrance. His colleagues greeted him-- from the guards to the officers. His eyes were everywhere, trying to take a look at each one's faces before he goes gone for weeks. All of the people are there, also trying to meet his piercing brown eyes. Who wouldn't want to look at the six feet tall, dashing, and hot Detective Jared Vasquez who looked even more exceptional inside his gray sweater and black jacket, with a maroon scarf around his neck, and a pale scarlet beanie above his doomed hair. 

It was for the undercover, he shouldn't have regrets about it because the mission was successful and honestly, not much minded his hair, not even Michaela. But if anything, he feels shy showing up with a beanie over his hair to the only person who noticed that and gave a damn-- Drea. Michaela's current partner. And just like the way she noticed how his hair changed, Jared's eyes gave off the same look to the office but add the disappointment. Because just like his shiny crowning glory, Drea Mikami wasn't there on her desk. She's not checking the snack stash, not by the coffee vending machine, she's not anywhere. If he can't see her anywhere, then maybe she's inside the captain's office.

Unconsciously, his footsteps became wider, making their way to Captain Bowers' door. But before he could make it there, Michaela Stone appeared right in front of him. 

"Jay," she smiled, checking him out. He smiled back, but that smile didn't make it in his eyes. 

"Be careful in your flight, okay? Come back here safely." 

Mick gathered him in her arms for an embrace. He tapped her back, now with his eyebrows threading. Instead of feeling sad or anything, he felt half empty. In the middle of this, his mouth ran.

"Mick, do you know where Drea--"

"Wifey!" 

Just when he was about to ask, that voice from the other end of the room caught everyone's attention including Michaela's, causing her to pull away from him. It was Ezekiel Landon, carrying a lunchbox for his wife. How sweet.

Michaela smiled shyly. "Sorry, I'll talk to you later," then she turned around to greet Zeke, who's now alive and kicking. Without the bandages around each of his fingers nor the unexplainable red spots on his skin. Jared watched as she went to him and just let out a deep sigh. He headed to the captain's office.