Part 21

If he's not going crazy, then he doesn't know anymore.

Jared was uncomfortable today. When he ignored Drea this whole day, it killed him. And now, he's supposed to be in bed and thinking of helping Michaela and Vance with the fin problem but instead, he climbed up his roof and arranged a blanket there to lay on.

He just can't live without seeing the stars... and this photograph in his hand.

He could've brought a phone, or a mini fan, whatever else useful. A camera, maybe, to capture what's in front of his eyes now. But none of that's what he brought with him.

He would like to think of the good old days. When he was still the high school heartthrob, or when he was at kindergarten and bullied by kids because of his weight, or when he's in college and studying for his midterms by writing a reviewer on his skin using blue ink. Or just him at Brooklyn bridge, reading The Fault In Our Stars.

Or just him... and Sammy, enjoying the day together at 5th avenue, riding the subway and being little good samaritans to an elderly beggar. That memory never fails to bring a smile on his face. And he needs it right now. Because all he can think about is something that makes him sad.

Meeting that beautiful soul was serendipity. He wondered when will he ever meet someone as safe as that girl? When will his soul ever connect to someone the way it did when he was little?

Well, it most certainly did when he found that old diary in the bridge and read it. He realized it wasn't too late for him, and he wrote something life-changing.

He laughed, remembering that. Since when was he such a life expert? He even wrote his initials there and drew his fancy signature that looked like a star. 

But that quote kept echoing in his head until he realized he's staring at that photograph he carried with him.

Drea's picture, looking outside the window of their ferris wheel cabin, with all the fireworks outside. 

Keep going. The beautiful things aren't supposed to be searched for. They are found, in the most unexpected places and time. So just keep living, and one day, one beautiful thing will find its way to you. 

Jared's lips formed a sweet smile as he whispered, "One beautiful thing..."

---

Drea removed her necklace and put it in the pocket of her diary before putting it all inside her bag and ditching it on the rough floor. She panted under broad daylight as she started to put her feet on the elevated part of the bridge, where it's closer to the protective railings.

This bridge is so damn high that she will die just looking from up here. But she has decided...

She stepped higher again, and looked everywhere. No one was watching. Even at this time of the day, no one is here. She could've chosen midnight, or a time when it's dark and nor much people will roam around, but she couldn't take her life under the stars.

One more time, she puts a foot on a higher ground. She can already feel the strong winds blow against her hair, causing it to fly at the back of her head and look as if she's a superhero that's gonna fly and save the world. 

But she knows so well that if she lets herself fall from here, she's dead the next second.

And that's exactly why you're here, Drea.

Two more steps higher and she is already ready to jump. With closed eyes and closed fists, she takes a breath and runs her right foot up, and then the left, until she felt herself wobble. She nearly yelled.. Actually, she's in the middle of screaming when she got a hold of the railings.