Part 31

"It's okay..." he scooped the little girl in his arms. "You're safe now."

For James Vasquez, it was a terrifying first case as a lead detective. The children were petrified, frightened. Starved for days and molested for God knows how many times by pedophiles. The innocent smell of their young skin has been tainted with the foul odor of sweat from the old people that disguise themselves as humble and legal workers in the day but are monsters when it gets dark. If it weren't for Scout-- his Labrador retriever-- they wouldn't have found that other dark room where one particular girl was placed in and almost assaulted.

Drea. That little girl would always leave a mark in his heart, especially that she's one of the few lives he's saved in the span of his life. 

When he went to her side after shooting those whose hands are trying to get under her clothes, he noticed one certain thing that has bound him asking forever.

The pendant that she kept holding onto...

...could it be?

----------

"There we go," Jared smiled when he successfully finished putting the last piece of egg inside the tray of Drea's double door refrigerator. Meanwhile, she's polishing the space where she put Jimmy's mini house and bedding. 

Last night, they spent the time chatting about the life of Jared's father and even his mother. They've discussed every single chapter of their life as a married couple and Drea could only stare in awe as Jared gives all his feelings away through saying that he has dreamed of the same love his parents had. They were flawed but that made them even perfect. He said that that was the kind of life he envisioned with Michaela. Spending the rest of his days with the woman he loves the most. But now, he could only dream of that.

Drea would be the best person to tell all of that to. She feels the same. She wants the same love that her adoptive parents share, and she can only see one person to do all of that with. Unfortunately for her, she's now getting married to a person she barely knows. While she wants an other half, an equal to tie the knot with, what will happen will be more like being the shadow of that person. 

But as she said, she can turn the marriage down anytime. Just until she finds herself a four-leaf clover.

Yesterday night, sleeping in her own house was unsuccessful. Jared didn't let her get anywhere because it was too late at night and she's got Jimmy with her, too. It's better to have another set of hands to help with feeding the little one every two hours. She and Jared barely slept because they were too worried with Jimmy. He looked like he's not gonna survive another day so when the morning came, the first thing they did was take him to the vet.

The cet the said he's prematurely born and he's gonna need to be incubated. It's still the middle of winter and his fragile, underdeveloped body won't last a day in the cold. They're lucky to have found him when they did, or else he'll be dead by the next second. And since that's the case, they had to leave him there in the clinic, just until he's okay. While he will be away, the two decided to prepare for hos welcome at Drea's house.

After they've gone from the clinic, they went to the grocery store again. This time, it wasn't Jared's house that needed a little makeover but Drea's. Her dad secured all of the furniture and appliances, however, since she's the one that's gonna live there, she should be responsible of her own necessities. She even got too excited that she bought complete stuff for Jimmy from his food to his toys but she forgot a lot for herself. Jared found this ridiculous but cute at the same time. Drea tends to forget herself a lot when she's thinking about others. It may already be unhealthy to mention that she's selfless but she is. That's one of the many reasons that Jared is so careful with her.