Part 19

It's the middle of the night and he's laying on his mattress, of course. Staring at the ceiling and wishing it's just a clear window so he can see the stars and calm down. 

He's thinking of Drea.

After they've talked about the callings earlier, she didn't speak no more and just got out of his car. He tried to follow after her but she didn't want to be chased, so he let her be. He respects that. Whatever her decision, he will respect that just like he promised. If that's the way she copes with the new information then it's her right. But what bugs him now is her safety.

He wants to protect her. That is absurd, she's a cop, and she has these bodyguards looming around her and keeping an eye. But for him, those aren't enough. No reason why, he just wants to. Like his life depends on it. When he held her hand yesterday it felt like it's meant to stay there, but that thing is what he doesn't want to believe anymore. 

The last time he believed in the existence of soulmates and the belief that Michaela's the one for him, things didn't go well after.

Speaking of Michaela, his phone rang and he caught it from the nightstand only to see that she is calling. It's almost twelve. When Mick calls this late, it should be something.

"Yes?" He answers.

"Jared, where are you? Can we meet up?" Michaela sounded very nervous from the other line. He quickly sat up.

"Why? What is it?" He got out from the sheets and stood up but felt dizzy afterwards so he had to put another hand on his temples just to absorb everything that Michaela will say. But it took him only one word-- one name to snap out.

"It's about Drea," said Mick, in a tune that he didn't like. All of his dizziness turned into focus.

"What about Drea?" His eyes are wide open, so are his ears.

Michaela breathes in and out, both in a heavy manner. She paused a little bit before saying it.

"She's not hurt or anything that I know of, but you just need to come here in the garage and I'll tell you."

That made his heart a bit calmer but still worried. What is it about Drea that they need to meet up at this hour for? 

He fixed his clothes and headed straight to the car then drove it to the house It's midnight, the kids should be asleep. But when he got there, Cal was the one to open the door. The child looks up at him with puppy dog eyes as if he's trying to tell something that he can't voice out.

"Jared," Ben Stone stood up from the couch. He gestured his head to the side, telling him to follow. "Mick and the others are waiting there."

"The others?" He immediately asked. "Is Drea here?" 

"No. Vance and his guys are here, so is Saanvi." Ben answered as they walked to his garage. The two got in there and Ben made him walk in first, then he locked the door behind them. 

Vance and Mick are conversing over a table, while Saanvi is beside them, just sitting. When they noticed his presence, their heads turned there.

"Jared," Michaela breathed, she ran to him and embraced him. "You're okay." 

His eyes weren't on Michaela, they were on Vance, because he's giving him that kind of look that he never wants to see. However, he still paid attention to what Mick just said. It was an unusual thing to say.

"Yeah, of course I'm okay. What's up? What is it about Drea?"

He pushed away from the hug and this time, Mick didn't have the answer to his questions. When his hands were free, Vance gave him a brown envelope. As he accepted that, he's looking him in the eye and trying to read what he's trying to say through that gaze. And he's telling him that he's been fooled.