Part 38

Ever since that night at her backyard, they've been in better terms.

Every day, Drea would wake up with the sound of Jared picking up and feeding their little puppy. He would always sing soft lullabies for the poor thing to help it doze off after. He's a very sweet man. He cleans the house, and although not a very good cook, he's such a happy eater. That's why she never gets tired of cooking.

About two days after Valentine's day, she's got all of his legal papers recovered, including his application for the Lieutenant exam. Drea is nothing but a supportive partner to Jared. It's been in their routine to sit on the couch and have some time reviewing for his examination. That's their main goal now; to get him to a higher rank.

Since she's no longer gonna be there when he does... she wants to help him level up.

And also, she's changed her mind with finding him an apartment. He can stay there with her for as long as he wants because whether she admits it or not... she's used to his presence. She cannot go to the same 'missing him' time. It was unhealthy for her.

Today marks the first day of Jared being back to work. And as the married couple they seem to be, they both got up, got prepared for the day, and showed up in the living room wearing their respective uniforms. Jared looks hot as hell. For the first time in weeks, she saw him again all dressed up in a fitting suit. His hair also has grown nicely and it's styled like before.

"Good morning, handsome." She greeted him, trying to sound as if she's joking but she meant it. He's handsome, really. She can't help but walk to his front and fix his tie and collar for him. Jared smiled as she did this, looking down on her and gently making a way for his hand to reach her hair, combing it using his fingers.

"Did you miss me so much?" He asked. She gave a smug face.

"Why? You're here for like, 24/7."

He pouted. "I mean 'me' me. Detective Vasquez me."

She giggled, realizing his query. "I did. But I think I'm gonna miss Nanny Jared more."

"Speaking of, what about Jimmy? Can we take him to the precinct?" He looked at the carpet where Jimmy laid down, in front of the fan.

She smirked. "I was planning to make Eddie fetch him and they can spend some time in the park but--"

"I'm his dad."
He complained.

She laughed at this. "Possessive much?"

He adorably nods in agreement and it's game over for her. Before she can even say yes, Jared already swooped the little guy in his arms and headed for the car.

Sometimes, she feels like she adopted a toddler. Jared is such a baby. But at the same time, he is a man. He's very gentle... clean, and well, protective. The time they've spent in her house just made her understand and see what it's like to live with him. The real him. Without the "Detective" title before his name. He is really sweet and caring, and for the weeks, he didn't focus on anyone else but her. He didn't even mention Michaela romantically. But even if he did, it wouldn't have bothered her so much. She, for once, felt comfortable in the fact that he's here beside her.

As long as it lasts like that, she'll cherish it. Until the very last second.

Jimmy was sitting on her lap as Jared drove her car. They're playing her jam of songs again but alternating it with his old music taste. When they get to the coffee shop, they grabbed breakfast by drive thru. Two bacon-egg sandwiches and coffee of their preference. Since Jared's hands are on the steering wheel, Drea had no choice but to feed him his sandwich as she ate hers too. When the sauce gets messy, she wipes it for him like she always did.