Part 16

"Where did you get that pendant?"

Like she did earlier, she hid the pendant under her clothes.

"It's nothing, just a lucky charm. Why?" 

Olive's forehead creased. "I just think I saw it somewhere."

She lightly chuckled. "Did you and Mick ever go to a jewelry shop together?"

"Yeah, we did."

"That's why. She also told me she's seen this pendant somewhere." 

Drea was almost hopeful that Olive knows where the other half is, or who has it. But then she had second thoughts of trying to fins that boy.

Like she told Olive earlier, she didn't make a promise, that's why she shouldn't be guilty about commiting to anyone else. Similarly, she didn't give back a promise to wait for that boy and as rational as she thinks, maybe he didn't even mean to keep that promise. They were little, and it was stupid to vow something as heavy as that. But she's even more foolish to hold on, to wait. She's gathered all the unclouded parts of her mind but those weren't enough for her to stop believing in his promise.

She's getting married soon, she's giving people a chance, and somehow starting to feel something towards someone. Meeting him again at this point in time would be pointless, but the greater part of her still wants it to happen. At least to thank him for being her anchor in life, and say goodbye right after. 

But as she always said, he's her first love. And she never made herself available for anyone unless it's him. Right now, things are starting to change. Maybe she's already trying to put someone first before Jerry.

When she and Mick arrived back at the office, both of them started sorting out paperwork and finishing them all without a break. Every fiber of focus was present in her body as she was doing that and she didn't even think of dozing off. She's had an extremely good day to even be tired, but when the clock stroke nine and everything she needed to accomplish were finally done, she felt her sore muscles start to complain. She leaned by her chair and put Jared's pillow around her neck.

Great. Now she's thinking of him.

Her eyes wandered around the almost empty precinct. It's only her and a few others working overtime. When she looked at Jared's cubicle, it was empty. He's probably already home. Michaela's table is also empty so she decided to call it a day.

She stood up and got her car keys, greeted a few people goodbye and then proceeded to the parking space. Drea is tired and obviously well-spent but something rings a bell in her head, something she seems to forget. When she entered the car, that's when she remembered.

The passenger seat had a paper bag above it. When she caught that, she found the set of strings and strap that she bought earlier. She left it in the car on purpose because Michaela thinks those were hers but no, it's for Jared. Her plan of going home right away is cancelled because she had to take the road to Jared's house.

It was a ten minute drive to his residence and she even had to take another route to avoid the heavy traffic. His car's outside, that's how she knows he's home. She parked her car beside his and went out to hit the doorbell.

One single ring amd his door was open. Jared is still in his office clothes but without the jacket. He's bearing a bowl of mac and cheese on his left hand and used his right hand to unlock the door and let Drea in without even asking why she's here at this hour. 

He's pouty. Doesn't look like he's okay. He seems to have had a rough day.

Oh, and he's really pouting this time.