Part 29

Mornings aren't good when you're running late for work and doesn't even have a change of clothes. Drea just woke up. She appreciates Jared not waking her up in the middle of her precious sleep but now the tires of her car are screeching because of how fast Jared drives it. The bastard waited for her to open her eyes and now they only have five minutes to rush this car to there.

She is still in her clothes yesterday and her phone battery is dead. If she doesn't go to the precinct in time, everything would be done for. Thankfully, they got there just in time for the meeting with Captain. But all of the people there looked at them with clueless expressions on all their faces, seeing that they arrived at the same time and are both panting from running the distance from the parking space to here.

"Vasquez, Mikami, just in time." Captain Bowers said before sitting on her place. Drea is grateful that she didn't say anything about her clothes that are still from yesterday or that she and Jared are beside each other, arriving at the same time. She didn't notice any of that and she should be thankful. 

"Here's yours," said the captain to her, handing her a file folder. "Stone arrived earlier and I gave her the field work. You're in charge with paperwork again." 

She just nodded. Of course. Paperwork. But at least she will not worry about the mess that she is right now. Going back to her table, Jared escorted her. He wasn't able to fetch her some coffee because they were rushing so when she finally put the folder on top of her desk, he asked right away.

"Do you want some coffee? I'll buy you one." 

She plugged in her charger and connected it to her phone before smiling at him. "Yeah, sure."

Her phone started opening and Jared wasn't moving beside her. "What?" She asked.

"You're not angry?"

"Why would I be angry? It's not your fault I dozed off." She simply answered and started dialling her mom's number. "Anyway, what happened to Maria and Manolo?"

He frowned. "They died."

"WHAT?"

But he didn't answer. With that frown on his face, he walked slowly outside to get her coffee. 

"Really? They died? Why would they die?" She asked herself, waiting for her mom to pick up. Daphne Fitz finally did and a mouthful was what she accepted.

"Drea Samantha! Where have you been? I've been calling you the whole night and you were unattended! What happened to you? Are you alright? Where did you sleep? Did you even eat dinner? Breakfast? How about breakf--"

"Mom, mom, hey, calm down. I'm alive. I ate dinner last night. Breakfast this morning, not yet. But could you do me a favor, please?" 

Her mom's tone went from aggressive to calm. "What is it, sweetheart? Do you need anything?"

"Yes. I slept inside... uhm, the house that dad gave?" Yeah, that's a lie. "I forgot to bring work clothes. Could you send me some?"

"Of course. Coming your way, honey. Please wait." And then her mom ended the call.

She sat on her chair, arranged the files on her desk and opened her computer. She's hungry and in need of caffeine but she's still got a few working brain cells so that'd be fine instead of wasting her time waiting. 

When Drea starts something, she doesn't stop until it's done. That's why when she found herself doing the paperwork, even when she's not ready for it, she can't find a space to pause for a while not until a big shadow was cast upon her.