Part 34

A gunshot.

Jared's heart stopped beating the moment he heard the loud explosion from Drea's line. He's running everywhere just to find her, but it was the last thing he heard.

The world stopped spinning. He felt dizzy. He began seeing pictures lf her inside his mind as if there is a flashback of memories. He thought it's the end. But from a distance, a one-floor building started sparking fire and something exploded in there. 

That wasn't hope for him at all.

He's not far from the crowd but he's also not near. He's pretty sure they didn't hear the quiet explosion but the fact that a  fire started, they could be risking the guests. So he tapped his earpiece as he ran to the place.

"Michaela, there's a fire here. Tell Zeke he needs to move, now!"

He needn't hear a further reply for he used all his adrenaline to run from his location to where the fire started. Before he could go near, dark smoke is already eating his sight but there's one silhouette for sure that he saw, running away. And it's not Drea's. 

He didn't care. For Christ's sake, he doesn't care if it is not her. He needs her. He needs to see her right now or else he'll lose it.

He can't lose Drea. 

His mind, his heart, all parts of him aches for her. None of his eyes want to close knowing that he will never see her again the next time it opens. None of his feet agrees on not running even if it means he'll burn himself to death. All of him... all of him needs to be with her.

The black smoke infiltrated his nostrils, causing him to cough while he pushed the glass door open. There he caught sight of a burning stovetop and curtains with it. The smoke won't allow him to see anything against the fire but he did his best to stay open-eyed. Eventually, the disgusting particles of ash went straight up the chimney and that's when he found a golden-colored dress reflect the yellow fire.

"Shit!" Drea cussed. He heard her. It's her. She's okay.

"Drea!" He screamed her name, trying to find a way across the fire to reach her. but there's a line in between them. There's still some spaces he can cross, but she stopped him.

"Jared, go after Juliet," she said, calmly. He wanted to refuse but she yelled before he could. "Go!"

"What about you?" 

"I said go after her! She has my gun!"

He stepped once. "I'm not leaving you here."

"I'll be fine," she managed to breathe out. Not sounding angry anymore. She's finally calm but her calmness bothers him. It sounds as if she's saying farewell.

"Jared, go! I'll not die!" She looked at him with all the emotions she's able to give off. 

Bad for him, he trusts her so much. But still, he needed reassurance. "Promise me!" He yelled through the thick fire, preparing to run outside already.

"I promise!" She screamed back. That was his cue. He left the place and he's twice as much in a rush than he was earlier. He needs to catch Juliet now so he can come back for Drea. That's all he's holding onto right now.

He went for the gates, but while on the way, he checked on the crowd. They were calmly being transferred inside the villa and he can see Zeke clearly leading the way. Beside him are Drea's parents, also helping settle the guests. Because he's out of breath, he can no longer page Michaela nor Vance to call for a fire truck. He could only wish now that they've called.