Part 30

An hour ago, she was inside the precinct lavatory to change the clothes she wore from yesterday, and now, Jared is outside the gas station bathroom stall where they stopped. Leaning by the hood of his car, with sunglasses on his eyes, looking at the expensive Rolex around his left wrist.

"What's taking so long?" He asked himself, impatient. Drea's been there for more than ten minutes now. He even asked why she's got to change clothes again when her suit has been on for just an hour. But just when he was getting already getting peeved, the sound of an opening door distracted him. Drea finally came out from the stall and the first thing he did was run to her senseless. He cornered her on a wall.

He hid her behind his bulky chest and looked everywhere, hands around her shoulders but not making contact, instead they're on the sides of her head, against the wall. She looked up at his face.

"What's wrong?" 

He lowered his gaze at her with a grumpy expression on his face. "What are you wearing?"

Her lips curved in a smile but crinkles formed in between her eyebrows and along her nose while her eyes narrowed and almost disappeared. The same look she gave him when he asked for a stronger liquor at Michaela's wedding. 

"I was gonna ask you if I look okay." She said, checking herself out and looking back at him. But Jared needn't bother to check once again. That split-second he saw her walking out from the toilet, he already scanned everything.

"You don't look okay." He replied straightly, not even looking at her. He snatched the paper bag where her previous clothes are in and held it up against her chest. "Put these back on."

Her eyes rolled. "Detective, do you know the fastest way to handcuff a child trafficker slash pedophile slash illegal prostitute recruiter? I'm your best catch here."

"No." He scowled, straight into her eyes. Jared gulped silently, trying not to look anywhere but those brown orbs and nowhere else. "You're not doing it." 

Drea just giggled. "Are you worried? You'll be there, right? Don't tell me you can't throw a punch for me." She slowly led his arms down and when she looked up yet again, her eyes smiled with her lips. "So, do I look okay?" 

Jared's eyes fluttered repeatedly. He still can't look at her. His eyes are everywhere but her and he knows he can't win an argument with Drea. He was trying ever since then but he never did win against her reasons. He swallowed again and did not reply but he stripped himself of his jacket and blindly put it in front of her. When he's sure her shoulders and upper chest aren't bare anymore, he had the guts to look and finally hold her hand to walk back in the car.

Getting inside, he opened the door for her and sent her in without a word then he ran to his side to drive. Actually, not yet, he still had to face her. She was asking before if she looks okay. 

She doesn't. She looks ravishing and that's not okay.

"You're making my head hurt," he pinched his temples and breathed deeply before putting his hands on the steering wheel.

"My goodness, it's just an off-shoulder." She replied, taking the jacket off her front, but Jared didn't let it. He held it up before she can take it off.

"Where did you even get that?"

He never saw her wear anything like that. Not that it is waking up the beast inside him but he can't be comfortable with his partner for today dressed like this in their mission.