chapter four

It had been exactly five days since Gwen's first day at college. Today was James Cook's birthday and the plan was to meet at the local pub.

So here Effy stood, spraying deodorant upon her to mask the scent of cigarettes as she stood outside Gwen and Pandora's house.

To Gwen:
Outside x

Effy looked to her right to see Panda waving through the living room window. Effy chuckled before waving back.

"EFFY'S HERE!" Panda yelled. A few minutes passed before the door opened. Angela stood there as she smiled down at the young girl.

"Hello Effy - pleasure seeing you again."

"Hello Miss Moon, the pleasures all mine." Effy raised her eyebrows before stepping inside.

"Is there anything I can get you? Food? Drink?" Angela questioned.

"I'm actually fine but thank you." Effy smiled awkwardly as she sat around their family table.

"Panda tells me you're having a girls sleepover at your house. Make sure to tell your mum I said thank you." Angela explains sweetly. Effy glanced at Panda who was clearly begging her to go along with the story.

"Yes. I will." Effy replied, slowly nodding her head.  As if on queue, Gwen made it downstairs, happy to see her best friend.

"I believe it's time to go." Gwen grinned.

"I believe so too!" Panda tried to contain her excitement. The three girls rose as they made their way to the door.

"Have a good time girls." Angela smiled as she held open the door for the girls. Panda and Effy made it out before Angela grabbed Gwen's arm. "Look after each other and make sure she doesn't do anything stupid. No funny business." She warned.

"Yes mum, love you too." Gwen rolled her eyes before walking out and around the corner to meet the girls. When reaching the corner Effy held two cigarettes in her mouth, lighting them both before passing one to her best friend. "Thanks."

"I'm so so so excited!" Panda jumped.

"Panda you realise it's not an actual party, it'll be rather shit I believe." Effy explained.

"Let her live her dream." Gwen mumbled.

✧.*

Everyone who was invited to the pub was there as they said. when the three girls burst open the pub doors, there sat Cook, Freddie, JJ and the twins.

"Whey!" Cook yelled, clearly already a little tipsy. "Nice to see you all."

"Likewise Cook - happy birthday." Gwen stepped forward as she held out a bag. Cook opened it to find a bottle of champagne and a spliff.

"Guinevere Moon! I love you." Cook excitedly shouted as he grabbed her shoulders before pecking her lips.

"No worries Cook." Gwen cackled as she pulled back, taking a seat next to Freddie. Effy and Panda said their happy birthdays to Cook as Gwen greeted Freddie.

"Hello, how are you?" She whispered.

"I'm good." He bluntly replied. Strange.

"How long have you been here for?" She tried to lighten the mood.

"Long enough, ready to go home." Freddie sighed as he got up and made his way out of the doors. Emily Fitch gave a sympathetic glance towards Gwen before instantly whipping her head towards the door.