chapter eleven

It was a Wednesday morning and Gwen stood in front of her locker as she took out her folders; too tired to even walk to her next class. She shut her locker with a slam, jumping slightly as Cook stood next her, smile across his face.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" She spoke softly, gesturing for the boy to follow her as they walked to her next class.

"Do you know who you're voting for yet?" Cook asked.

"Voting for what?"

"Student president." Cook scoffed as if it was obvious.

"Cook why the fuck would I care about student president?" Gwen laughed. "Why the fuck would you..." She stopped in her tracks letting out one last cackle as she looked him up and down. "You didn't?"

"I did." Cook opened his arms out wide.

"Well - now I have to take all contenders into consideration." Gwen fake contemplated.

"Then hurry up and choose because the votings today." Cook smirked. "See you later." He kissed her on her head before they arrived to her class. Freddie sat at the back, ready for their lesson.

"Hey." Gwen greeted, Freddie smiling as he pecked her lips unexpectedly. The girl sat down with a blush, the lesson commencing.

"Guessing Cook told you about his decision about being student president?" Freddie cackled as Gwen nodded. "It's going to be a hard decision."

Gwen furrowed her eyebrows. "And why's that?"

Freddie opened up his notepad, sighing. "Well because Naomi's a candidate too."

"Oh shit." Gwen contemplated. "That's not going to go down well."

"Neither are your grades Miss Moon if you don't stop talking." The teacher spoke as he turned back around, writing on the board as Gwen threw her middle finger up at his back.

"I'll have him know my grades are impeccable." Gwen muttered as Freddie let out a chuckle.

✧.*

Class ended sooner than expected as Freddie and Gwen left hand in hand, heading for the common room as everyone made their last minute choices before the end of the day.

"So who are you voting for?" Freddie asked as he entered the common room, slowly walking towards their group of friends.

"I'm not sure." Gwen shrugged.

"Heya!" Pandora excitedly waved as she sat upon Thomas' lap, since he came back he'd enrolled at Roundview, it was weird for Gwen to see him with her sister as all she could picture was Cook. Gwen deeply persuaded Panda to tell him but she somehow changed the subject everytime.

"Hi." Effy sadly smiled as her eyes trailed to Freddie and Gwen's intertwined fingers. Gwen noticed immediately as she withdrew her hand, greeting her friend before heading to the polling table.

"Who have we all voted for?" Gwen challenged the group.

"Well, I voted for Naomi - Emily too." Panda shared.

Freddie grinned as he too stood by the table, filling in a slip as he began his vote. "As a friend of Cook's - I have to do my duty." He shrugged, JJ revealing he had done the same thing mere minutes ago.

"That settles it - one for the boys." Thomas smiled as he stood up to write James Cook's name upon the slip. Gwen subtly looked to her sister who seemed riddled with guilt, Freddie not making the situation any better as he spudded Thomas, the pair cheering together.

"Welp - fuck the boys - this one's for the girls." Gwen finally muttered as she wrote Naomi's name on the slip, sliding it into the box. Freddie smiled as he sat on the sofa, inviting Gwen to sit with him as he wrapped an arm around her.

"What about you Effy? You haven't voted." JJ probed as everyone looked at the girl.

"Actually I did." Effy shrugged, everyone awaiting her answer. "Obviously I voted for Naomi." She grinned.

"Ah! Now - that's just boring." Cook chuckled as he greeted the group, taking a seat next to Effy as she rolled her eyes.

"No - it's called smart thinking." Naomi narrowed her eyes, revealing herself too as she sat next to JJ.

"Right!" Doug spoke as he opened his arms out wide. "Thank you all for taking time to vote - know all votes will be counted." He smiled. "Now comes the long part - we count the votes - meet back in here at three and we shall announce the next student president." Doug nodded before picking up the boxes, taking them out one by one to be counted.

"Well it is two - so that gives us an hour my friend." Cook wriggled his eyebrows as Effy scoffed.

"I would love to but I'm too busy pulling off my finger nails one by one." Effy grumbled as she stood up and left.

"Anyone?" Cook announced to the group as they all shook their heads. "Naomi?" He asked as she too scoffed, getting up and leaving. "Gwen?"

"Don't even think about it." Freddie warned Cook.

"Come on." Gwen giggled as she stood up, holding her hands out for Freddie to take. "Let's go... study." She smirked, Freddie grinning as they too left.

That left, Cook, JJ, Panda and Thomas as they part took in private conversations. Cook watched the way Panda's eyes lit up as Thomas spoke to her; whispered in her ear. It never went unnoticed to him, the soft touches and squeezes Thomas gave to Panda, the small giggles escaping Panda's lips. Truth is he envied them, not the people in particular but what they had.

He grew jealous of the idea of love, he wanted someone to call his, someone to be there for him, someone to love him. He wished to fall asleep with his loved one and wake up next to them. He wished for a day he could call theirs, a day where they celebrated their annual bookmark in time, a day he could call his anniversary. JJ noticed this in his friend, JJ may lack common sense but he never failed to miss any details. He paid attention to his friends and he knew why Cook was the way he was.

"I'm heading for a spliff." Cook shared as he stood up and left, JJ trailing after him.

✧.*

Three o'clock came around the corner, everyone gathering back in the common room, Pandora and Thomas having not moved.

"Welcome back everyone." Doug smiled. "The results are in."

"Yes they are." The headmistress, Harriet grinned.

"Drum roll please." Doug begged as he began patting his knees, no one following in suit.

"Just say it's me already." Cook moaned.

"Naomi Campbell!" Harriet announced. There was a chorus of 'what's' and 'oh's' as Naomi made her way to the front.

"That's rubbish!" Someone yelled as Naomi faced the room.

"Shut up!" Gwen replied to the crowd as she watched Naomi awkwardly fiddle with her hands.

"Wow." She smiled. "Thanks for voting me as student president."

"WOOOO!" Emily, Gwen, Effy and Panda cheered at the same time.

"As my first act of student president." Naomi sighed. "I have to set something right." The group glanced at each other, confused as they allowed Naomi to go on. "I didn't win." She revealed as she looked towards Harriet.

"What?" Harriet awkwardly chuckled. "Yes you did - I counted the votes myself." She mumbled. "Accept the position and leave."

"What about all these votes?" Naomi questioned as she dug her hand into Harriet's bra, taking out many slips with Cook's name over it. "Get up here Cook." Naomi giggled as Cook stood up, everyone cheering at him and gasping at Harriet.

"Lets fucking go!" Cook screamed, everyone making their way into the corridors and outside as they trashed the place.