chapter twenty eight

Will slowly put his phone down, his fingers slightly shaking as his mind clouded over. He looked to the red head, asleep on his lap as he gently stroked her hair. Softly sitting up, he managed to escape her grasp as he slipped on his shoes.

Heading for his car, he took out his keys, hopping into the drivers and propping it in reverse. Music didn't seem fitting right now so he drove to his destination is silence. When reaching the bricked house he reluctantly hopped out his car, seeing the door was slightly ajar he made his way in. Treading lightly up the stairs he made it into the bedroom where he watched his best mate fall into a million pieces.

"Will?" Gwen called as he made his way over, embracing her tightly as she cried into his shoulder.

"Gwen? What's happened?" He gulped, sitting next to her.

"I wouldn't even know where to start." She sniffed.

"I've got time." He smiled sweetly.

So, as they were propped up on pillows. Gwen began to explain the long-winded story about Effy: how she tried to end it all twice. She told Will about her conversation with Freddie and how her and Cook had slept together. She told Will all about how she had felt about Cook and what she had done just a few hours ago.

Will nodded, taking all this information in as he felt his heart beat at every secret. Looking from his hands to the girl he hugged her once more. "This is all my fault."

"What? No it's not." Gwen scoffed.

"I've been so wrapped up with Katie I didn't even care to check if you were okay." Will shook his head. "But I'm here now. And we're gonna fix this."

"Will-"

"Starting with Effy. So let's go." Will chattered, standing up as he held his hand out.

"I can't Will." Gwen shuddered.

"Yes you can. I'm here with you. I won't let anything bad happen to you." He reassured as Gwen sighed before nodding and taking his hand.

✧.*

"Right. I'll take care of Freddie. Just go in there." Will explained as they stood outside Effy's hospital room. It was a gloomy scene, monitors beeping, dark spaces, hospital gowns.

Gwen took in a sharp breath before pushing the door handle down. Freddie was sat next to Effy's bed, holding her hand as they engrossed in a conversation.

"Gwen?" Freddie spoke as he stood up.

"Hey." She smiled, looking to Effy who returned the gesture. "Can I speak to Ef?"

"I don't think that's-"

"It's okay Freddie." Effy nodded.

"Come on mate." Will called from outside the door. "Alright Ef?" Effy nodded as Freddie followed Will, Gwen taking his seat.

Gwen held Effy's hands in hers as they sat in silence.

"I'm so sorry." Gwen finally spoke.

"Why did you come?" Effy huffed.

"Because Ef. I love you." Gwen began, tears trickling down her face.

"No Gwen. You loved me." Effy corrected.

Gwen shook her head vigorously. "You're my friend. Of course I love you. I just didn't like you for a while but that doesn't mean I don't love you."

Effy finally looked up, her eyes watering as she finally let it go. "I love you too." Her heart pouring as she sobbed. Gwen returned the favour; the pair both crying in each other's embrace once more.

"What happened?" Gwen whimpered.

"I- I keep hearing shit. I just want it to end Gwen. I just want it all to end." Effy weeped.

"We're gonna get you some help. I promise." Gwen sniffed.

✧.*

"Gwen." Anthea smiled, shaking the girl lightly. Gwen woke up, under the sheets with Effy as she continued her slumber. "Go on. That posh gentleman has been waiting for you."

"But Effy." Gwen mumbled.

"Will survive without your presence for a few hours." Anthea grinned. Gwen nodded as she quietly removed the sheets, slipping away. "I'll keep you updated." Anthea promised as she hugged the girl goodbye.

Gwen hazily began her walk into the hallway and out of hospital as she looked for Will's car. Making her way over to the audi she smiled at his slumbered state. There he lay, his seat reclined, his mouth agape as light snores fell from his lips. With a smirk she tapped harshly on his window, the boy jumping and bashing his head against the car roof.

"Jesus Gwen!" He chuckled, unlocking the door as he smacked his lips. Gwen cackled, jumping into the passenger.

"Sorry I took so long." She apologised.

"No worries. How'd it go?"

"Good actually." Gwen nodded. "Thank you Will."

"No worries kiddo." He winked.

"Did you see Freddie?"

Will licked his lips. "I did. He was pretty upset. Told me Effy didn't want to see him anymore."

"What? Fuck off."

"Shits hit the roof." Will raised his eyebrows. "You should probably talk to him."

"Yeah, I probably should."

"Don't fuck him though." Will mocked as Gwen narrowed her eyes. "Too soon?"

"We can worry about Freddie later, what's the plan for the rest of today?"

"The plan?" Will smirked. "Time to sort out that love situation of yours."

"What?" Gwen furrowed her eyebrows. "There is no love situation."

"Not yet." He sighed. "Seatbelt on."