chapter thirty five

"No. Why would I have seen him?" Cook mumbled, attempting to keep his voice low as Gwen slept in his bed. "Alright. I'll keep an eye out." Cook sighed. "Yes! Alright!" He finished, rolling his eyes as he put down the phone. He jumped into bed with Gwen, wrapping an arm around her frame as she instinctively moved closer.

"Who was that?" The girl mumbled, Cook slightly flinching at her voice.

"Sorry - did I wake you?" He questioned, beginning to stroke her hair. Gwen shook her head, Cook appreciating her lie.

"Who was it?" She repeated, not letting go of the question.

"Nothing important honestly." Cook shrugged, snatching the box of cigarettes on the side of his bed, taking one as he lit it. "Don't you need to be somewhere today?" He questioned.

"Oh shit!" Gwen sighed. "What's the time?"

"Ten." He smiled.

Gwen groaned aloud as she stretched her body, putting her arms all over Cook as he playfully cursed at her. Getting up Gwen slowly got dressed, sitting at the dresser as she began her hair.

✧.*

"Anything?" Katie spoke, grabbing Eff's arm. Katie, Effy and Gwen were sat in Effy's room in the psych ward. She had come back again following some events with Freddie. She hadn't heard from him since which was the reasoning for her sadness. She stood by the window, looking out into the communal garden as Katie asked her the question.

"Only in my head." Effy sighed. "He's talking in my head."

"What's lanky Fred saying?" Gwen attempted to lighten the mood.

"He's saying they're all fucking mad." Effy smriked as the two girls followed her eye line. Outside was a class on space hoppers, the psycho-people's daily exercise.

"Yup." Katie grinned. "There's Panda... what's she doing?" The three continued to watch the scene unfold through the window, Panda's bright and colourful clothes being mistaken for a patient as they forced her onto the space hopper. "Oh my god!" Katie cackled, the two in suit. Panda began to hop towards the window where her friends stood, the instructor calling her back.

"I'm not mental!" Panda shouted back, hopping towards her giggling friends.

"Go Panda! They're after you!" Effy taunted as she lifted up her window, ready for Panda to pounce through. "Bounce to me!"

✧.*

After the chatter and jokes had died down, Panda whipped out this new electric device to play games on. The girls quickly grew bored, Effy finding more joy with the dirt under her nails.

"Couldn't you have brought me grapes or something?" Effy sighed.

"Grapes are for chipmunks." Panda shook her head. "This is so better." She cheered, the sound of her game beeping. "I wrote you a song I just can't get the hang of.. tit and piss the instructions were in japanese!" Panda groaned. "Oh, Fuck me up the arse three ways! Come on, you nonky cunt!"

"Language!" Katie yelled.

"Great innit? I've been practicing." Panda smiled as Gwen let out a chuckle. "Oh I've got it." Fishing into her bag Panda brought out some instruments. "Scrapey - scrapey for you!" She handed Katie a wood scraper. "Shakey - shakey for you!" She passed some maracas to Effy. "And ding - ding for you." She giggled passing her twin the triangle.

"What for?" Effy asked.

"Life. Can't stand still, can we? So this is gonna cheer you up." Pandora chuckled playing a song on her new device as rhythmic beeping began to sound.