chapter twenty seven

"Gwen." A soft voice spoke as the girl was knocked out of her trance. Looking up from the table she saw Cook in just his joggers as she spared him a smile.

"Morning." She grinned as Cook didn't bother to smile back.

"Freds just called me." Cook sighed. "Effy's in the hospital."

"What? Why?" She panicked as she stood up.

"Tried to off herself last night." Cook shrugged.

"No." Gwen gasped as she began to make her way upstairs to find some suitable clothes.

"Gwen!" Cook called after her; following to her room.

"S-s-she can't have. I-I spoke to her." Gwen began to tear up as she hastily looked through her drawers.

"Spoke to her about what?" Cook questioned as Gwen ignored him, too busy looking for her things. "Gwen. Gwen will you just calm down?" Cook groaned as he spun her around, the tears prominent. Cook sympathetically looked at her as he cradled her body; no longer being able to take it she began to cry. "Gwen? I know you would be upset about this but what's the catch? You hated her."

"A couple of days ago." Gwen sobbed. "I was walking home from Will's and I caught her trying to..."

"Trying to what?" Cook asked.

"She was on a bridge and I-" She trembled.

Cook raised an eyebrow. "You caught her trying to jump off a bridge?" Cook interrogated, pulling away from the hug as Gwen nodded. "And you didn't tell anyone?"

"I didn't know what to do." Gwen cried.

"So you knew she was suicidal and didn't do anything about it?"

"Cook- I - what was I supposed to do?" Gwen sobbed.

"Fucking tell someone!" He yelled as he began to pace up and down.

"I'm sorry." Gwen trembled as she watched Cook pick up his belongings. "Cook. Let me come with you."

"No." Cook sighed. "Just... stay here." He commanded as he pulled out his car keys, making his way downstairs as he left the girl in her room.

✧.*

Gwen spent the rest of that morning, tucked away in her room. Everyone had left now, assuming she was asleep. Panda had even gone out with Thomas, leaving the house completely alone with Gwen. The girl lay back on her bed, fingers intertwined and rested on her stomach. She couldn't even begin to comprehend the emotions she was feeling. Is Effy okay? Does Freddie hate her? Does Cook hate her? Does Cook love Effy? Does she love Cook? It was all just too much. Her thoughts were piling on top of each other, every thought just that little more heavy. So she did what most teenagers would do. Drugs.

Gwen laid upon her bed, her window ajar to let the soft breeze flow through. She had one arm hanging off her bed, holding onto a bottle of vodka and in the other was a spliff. The room was spinning as Gwen struggled to move. She could feel her heart pulsing around her body and her breaths were short and rapid. The only movement she was able to conduct was the short journey of the zoot from her hand into her mouth. She puffed on it slowly as tears threatened to spill across her face.

"Gwen?" Someone called as the girl glanced at the door, hearing a familiar voice from downstairs. "Gwen?" They spoke again. It wasn't long before Cook found his way into her bedroom. "Gwen?" He panicked as he rushed over to the girl, on his knees by her side in a matter of seconds. "Oh fuck - what have you done?" Cook sat her up on the headboard as he took the spliff, setting it aside with the alcohol.