chapter twenty five

Gwen had let Effy stay at hers the night of the incident. It was the first time in a while they had spent any one on one time for months. Currently, Effy was tucked up in bed, Gwen's arms around her as she held her closely. Effy awoke first, carefully and quietly slipping free from Gwen's grip as she sat upright.

She cradled her knees, looking back to Gwen as she replayed the events from last night. A few stray tears had fallen down her cheeks as she wiped them quickly. Gwen began to grumble as she stretched, slowly opening her eyes as she looked to Effy.

"Morning." Gwen smiled. "How you feeling?"

"Suicidal." Effy mumbled.

"Ef - don't say that." Gwen sighed.

"It's true. Why be alive when it's gonna end all the same?"

Gwen raised an eyebrow as she bit her lip. This wasn't the Effy she knew. Maybe Freddie was right. Effy forced a smile making Gwen feel uneasy.

"Effy? Should I take you to see someone?" Gwen questioned.

"Like who?"

"I don't know. Your mum. Freddie. A doctor?"

Effy laughed. "And what are they supposed to do?"

"Help you." Gwen stated as she stood up, making her way to her desk. "You're fucked." She revealed as she began to pick up her grinder, filling it with weed.

"Aren't we all?" Effy speculated.

Gwen shook her head in disbelief, beginning to roll her spliff. "Freddie's right - you are creepy. But I've been your friend for years so you're not going to scare me off." Gwen shrugged.

"Freddie?" Effy scoffed as she looked away.

"Why? What's he done this time?" Gwen pondered, taking a seat as she lit her spliff.

"He doesn't get me." Effy passed on.

"I don't think anyone does." Gwen testified.

"I'm going to throw a party at my house. Tonight." Effy blurted as she stood up, slipping her shoes on.

Gwen sneered. "What a great idea."

"Be at mine by ten." Effy grinned as she made her way out.

"Ef! I was joking!" Gwen called after her, receiving no reply. "I was joking!"

✧.*

Will was walking next to Katie as they had returned from the shops. They entered his house; running up to his room as they laid out the alcohol in front of them.

"Tonight's gonna be wicked." Katie cheered.

"I don't know..." Will stammered, folding his arms behind his head as he lay on the head board.

"What's wrong? Do you not want to go with me?" Katie quizzed as she reached out for his knee.

"No it's not that." Will instantly replied. "It's just, Gwen and Effy don't get on. I'd feel like a snake."

"You can't live life hating people because your friends do. And besides we aren't going for Effy, we're going for the party." Katie giggled.

"I guess so." Will shrugged as he sparked up half a spliff.

"Will, your father and I are off!" Jackie had called, barging into Will's room as he rolled his eyes.

"Knock mum." He softly reminded.

"Ah sorry!" Jackie beamed. "And who's this?" She asked as she raised an eyebrow.

"I'm Katie. Nice to meet you." The red head bubbled as she stood up to shake Jackie's hand.