chapter ten

Gwen laid sprawled across the green grass in her local park. She had a spliff between her lips as she smiled at every toke she took. She had her earphones in her ears as she bopped her head to the beat. It was a nice sunny day, the sun engraving itself onto her skin as she tanned happily.

"Hello stranger." A voice spoke as her earphones were pulled from her ears.

"Wilfred." Gwen smiled, sitting up.

"That's Will to you." He grinned, giving her a hug. "And don't think you're smoking that without me." He sat down next to her, taking the zoot from her mouth.

"What are you doing here?" She questioned.

"Father wanted me to clear all the peasants off his garden." Will joked as Gwen nudged him softly.

"You might want to leave then." She taunted.

"Touché." Wilfred chuckled. "Nah - I was just taking a walk to be honest."

"Well you came at the right time, thought I'd never see you again." Gwen shared.

"One conversation with Will and you've already got separation anxiety." Will mocked.

"Fuck you." Gwen giggled.

"No thanks." Will smiled. "Here." He offered as he passed the spliff back. "So, besides sitting here all day - what else is planned?"

"Well - I promised JJ we'd get our project done for college." Gwen explained.

"What's it on?"

"It's a presentation on Karl Marx's theory on Capitalism."

"Well - lucky for you we just recapped it yesterday." Wilfred nodded.

"Really?" She chuckled.

"No - but three heads is better than two." Will replied as he stood up holding his hand out for her.

"Yes - but not when one of them is yours." Gwen joked as she took his hand, both of them walking towards the park gates.

✧.*

Walking to JJ's house was a breeze considering it was around the corner, Gwen knocked upon his front door.

"Hey JJ." Gwen smiled at the boy. "This is Will."

JJ narrowed his eyes at Will and then looked back at Gwen. "Is it wise to bring an unknown boy with you into my house?"

"He's fine - he's not a threat - he's gonna help." Gwen furrowed her eyebrows.

"Not because of me but because of..."

"Freddie?" Gwen sighed. "We're just friends JJ."

JJ stepped aside letting them in. "Go to my room, I'll be up in a minute."

The pair made it upstairs and into JJ's room, Gwen immediately taking a seat on his bed.

"Woah." Will gasped as he looked around at all the collector items JJ had. "What a strange kid."

"Hey!" Gwen snapped. "That's my friend."

"I didn't say strange was bad." Will smiled as he turned around, a lego jedi in his hand as he waved it about, Gwen chuckling at his jokes.

"Be careful with that!" JJ scolded as he took it out of his hands. "That's a valuable collectors item."

"I know, it's the Star Wars 1984 collection, there's only..." Will began.

"284 of them in the world - yes." JJ nodded, shocked with his knowledge. He shook his head, loyalty getting the best of him as he sat next to Gwen. "How can we get work done when he doesn't even know what we're doing?"

"I know what it's on, ask me anything." Wilfred challenged as Gwen closed her eyes, ready for Will to fuck up.

"Alright." JJ spoke. "What is socialism?"

"Socialism." Will nodded. "It's a political and economic theory of social organisation which advocates that the means of production, distribution, and exchange should be owned or regulated by the community as a whole."

Gwen looked impressed as JJ rolled his eyes. "That was too easy." JJ spat. "Give me three weaknesses of marxism?"

"Well you could say that it disregards religion - it negatively effects the education system or it doesn't value the concept of ownership. How about the fact it can lead to communism or limits the opportunities for entrepreneurs?" Wilfred expressed. "I could go on."

"No. Don't. JJ he could practically do our whole assignment." Gwen chuckled as JJ nodded subtly, secretly very impressed.

"Yes - he could." JJ mumbled quietly.

After getting about two hours work done, with help from Will, they began to become a little restless. Will stood up as he took in JJ's room, he wandered over to the shelves where many books were neatly placed.

Will scanned his finger over them before stopping on one in particular. "No way!" He chuckled. "Is this the Star Trek first edition book?"

"Yeah - it is." JJ smiled.

"Can I?" Will asked as JJ nodded, it was taken down from the shelf as Will scanned through it. "This is incredible."

"I'm glad someone has some appreciation for my love of collectibles." JJ chuckled proudly.

"You guys are nerds." Gwen teased.

"It's not nerdy; it is just a passion." JJ defended.

"I like it JJ." Will smiled. "You enjoy your crackhead life." He taunted at Gwen as JJ let out a cackle.

✧.*

By the end of the day, they had given up on working as they had practically finished. JJ and Will were playing cards as Gwen laid upon the floor next to Will, joining in the conversation.

"And so from our flight back from Switzerland - I had to fly the plane myself." Will shared as JJ gasped.

"And your pilot was completely unconscious?" JJ asked, obviously interested.

"Practically dead." Will shuddered. "Have you got any nines?"

"Go fish." JJ replied. "I would be dead if I was in your shoes."

"I thought I was." Will grinned. Just then, footsteps were heard as JJ's door swung open, revealing Freddie.

"Gwen? What are you doing here?" Freddie questioned. "Who's this?" His eyes diverted to Will who was sat very close to Gwen.

"Oh this is Wilfred." JJ smiled. "He's very nice and very smart, he even-"

"Is he your friend or yours?" Freddie pointed between JJ and Gwen.

"Mine." Gwen replied bluntly as Freddie slowly nodded his head, the tension heavy within the room.

"Well - I probably have to go." Will mentioned. "I know when I'm not wanted." He joked.

"No." Gwen and JJ spoke at the same time.

"You don't have to go." Gwen shook her head.

"Actually... I had something planned." Freddie explained.

"But you didn't even know I was here." Gwen tilted her head to the side.

"Surprise?" Freddie shrugged as Gwen rolled her eyes.

"I'll see you tomorrow." She sighed as she got up, leaving the room, Will shortly behind before he turned around.

"Tell your mum - her sausage rolls. Mwah." Will kissed his index and thumb as he mocked the Italian gesture.

"Will do Will." JJ laughed as he watched the boy leave as he looked back to Freddie who scowled at him. "What?"