SURPRISED

A R C H E R P O V

My brother stared at me when Sasha was going ballistic on Sarge, letting her spiteful words run past her lips. 

It caused me to pay attention, opening my eyes wide; mean surprised wide. What Sasha said to Sarge provoked us to laugh. Aston couldn't believe what she said: we laughed and shouldn't have. 

I'm their boss, and the only way I could control the situation was to suspend them both. And then Sasha told me she quit. 

Which took me by surprise. My mind was blank with the remarks she spoke. Never thought I'd be in this situation, where it backfired on me.

Now I'm sitting in my office with my brother, having a drink, contemplating what to do next. "My god, I thought she was going to kill him," Aston says. "She had some strength behind her when I held her back," I said. 

We laugh. "Archer, what are you going to do now? You will have to hire another secretary." "Aston, I've never had this happen to me ever. But I know she's the best at her job. She might be mouthy, but she knows her job. Finding a replacement won't be easy." Sip my drink.

He leans on the desk to glance at me, "You need to find her. Do a bit of grovelling tell her how good she is at her job." Shake my head, take a deep breath. 

"That would mean being nice, and she knows I don't do nice. She's messed up big time. And she knows it. I can't act nice to her. She'll get the wrong idea." He raises his brows at what I said. 

"Come on Aston, people are already talking about us." He smiles, picks his glass up, places it to his lips.

Lean back in my seat, staring at my brother. "I'll go with you. You know how much she likes me. She's sexy, but she's the type of girl who should have it all. Not merely a one-nighter or an office fling." He caused me to laugh with his remark. 

"Aston, she'd devour you for breakfast." I said, and he nods. "That's what I'm afraid of. So, I'll stay away. Like we said, she's off-limits no matter how sexy she is." He says. I nodded in agreement, my mind going over what he said.

***

It's been a few days, I'm in the limo with my brother heading over to Sasha's. I'm going to extreme measures and plead against my better judgement. 

This is all of Aston's brilliant idea. The limos driving down a street with small houses either side. I've never been this side of town, and I'm pleased I haven't.

The stretch limo pulls to the side of the road. My god. Talk about nosy people. "Seems like we have a welcome party for us," Aston says laughing. 

"Something tells me they don't encounter people like us around here." I said. The driver opens the door. "Stay with the car." I told him when I stepped out. Aston follows me.

We stood doing up our jackets and gazed up at the door. The neighbours are whispering. We stroll along the path towards the door, not sure what to expect. 

But we could hear whispering from the women standing on the garden watching us. Reach the door and knock. 

A woman opens it and slams it closed again. "What a charming welcome." We hear whispering from behind the door. "Try to be polite." Aston pleads with a smirk.

The door opens again. "Yes." She says in a nervous voice, holding the door slightly ajar. "I would like to know if Sasha's here?" I ask. 

My brother smiles and scans around us. "Sasha, what the hell have you done? There's two heavy dudes here for you. Just hope they're not packing." Eyed at my brother, I shrug my shoulders with an amused expression. "I don't know any heavy dudes with guns," Sasha shouts back.