NOT ME

S A S H A    P O V

Well, I'm back home at Ruth's for a while until I find another job. Couldn't believe what Sarge did. 

What a fucking asshole to do this to me. I'd been working longer for the company than him, and I was the one ordered to leave. Not able to set foot near the building, for fear of getting arrested.

I'm the one who got him the job there, and this is how he repays me.

My mother had two clients sitting in the kitchen ready for her to do their hair. She works from home, it's cheaper than renting a chair in a salon. 

Parked my ass on the front step with a cup of coffee. Glance down the path to discover Pip. "You're like a bad penny." She shouts to me. 

"Do you fancy having a few bottles of wine?" She steps up to me. "I got a couple. We should go where we used to." Smiled at her. "I'll grab my few and we'll have some fun." I reply.

Stepped into the house, grabbed a bag, and put my four bottles in and leave. She hooks her arm around mine. 

We strolled down the road and met Mr Charmers. He was our favourite teacher, but he went deaf and had to leave school. We waved at him and smiled. 

"He's the best," I say, and Pip agrees with me.

We enter the field just down from the houses. The teenagers are playing football. We sit on the large rock to open a bottle each. 

Swallowing large mouthfuls. "So, what the fuck happened?" She asks. "I met some geek and caught him in bed with some whore." 

"You should've punched him." She said. "I did, and that's why I'm in this mess," I answer her.

We finish the first bottle and start on the second. The sun is going down and we light the fire bin. It's a metal barrel that all the kids have used over the years to have light. 

We put some music on and chat plus dance a little. We get a few dog walkers who stroll past us, we would yell at them and they'd wave. 

Everyone is friendly around here, they know who is who. That's what's so nice having a small area where you live.

Open another bottle to drink. Feeling a little drunk. "Could murder a Chinese right now." "Pip, I don't think they would taste nice." We burst out laughing. 

"I missed hanging with you." She says and puts her arm around me. We sit on the grass and carry-on drinking. "Sasha, you're lucky you got away when you did." Smiled at her.

The wines going to my head. "I'm going to have a hangover tomorrow. Ruth's going to have a fit and tell me how I fucked up her life." I tell her.

"She's never had anything nice to say. Do you remember when she was called into school with my mum?" "She fucking lost it in the heads office, and I laughed at her making it worse. She marched straight home, phoned my father and told him." I replied with the thoughts of my memory.

We're slowly running out of alcohol. "We should go to the corner shop and get more booze," I said, and she nods. 

We stand to make our way to the shop. We grabbed a bottle of vodka and apple sours. Yep, we're having a night of drinking. We make our way back to the house so we could have something to eat too.

Enter the house to have Ruth staring at me. "Sasha, I'm not going to argue with you. I've had an exhausting day." 

"Why not join us." It just came out. "You're already drunk. I'm going to bed, keep the noise down." She leaves. "Must be old age," I say, and Pip laughs with me.