PAYING THE PRICE

A R C H E R P O V

The plane landed, I glanced over to Sasha as she returned a glance at me with a beautiful smile. 

She's no idea what's coming, but I couldn't tell her. It's better if she doesn't know anything. We stood to exit the plane, and I can notice the police waiting. 

Took her in my arms to kiss her. "Archer, what the fuck is going on?" She asked with uncertainty. 

"I love you." That's all I could say. We step off from the plane and they arrest her. "What the fuck is going on?" She rants. 

"Sasha Davenport, we're arresting you in accordance with the law. You're being charged with the death of Sarge Kingly." They turn her to put cuffs on her wrists. 

They help her into the back of the police car.

I couldn't bring myself to tell her anything, I didn't know how too. 

My lawyers are waiting at the police station for her. I feel awful that this happened to her, but she had nothing to do with him dying.

A guy from SWAT shot him dead when he shot at her first. Rubbed my face before climbing into the back of the limo. Pip is crying in Aston's arms. She wouldn't glance at me.

My parents didn't know how to handle it when they were told. Aston told me to get our lawyers involved. The thing is, it's going to be headlines in every fucking paper.

***

Returned to the penthouse to get a call from one of my lawyers. "Archer, she refused to have any help, and she said she would rather rot in prison." I should've told her. 

I'm beating myself up over this. "So, what happens now?" "She's appearing in front of the judge this afternoon. If she pleads guilty, there'll  be no trial." Run my fingers through my hair.

I know what she's going to say. "If she pleads not guilty?" I ask. "Then they'd have to build a case which could take months, even years. It depends on how much evidence they have. But my guess is it would go to trial in less than six months. She could face anywhere up to fifteen years max. But if she had listened to us, she could get out with an ankle bracelet." Take a deep breath. "I will talk her into meeting you. Leave it with me." I hang my phone up.

Placed my hands on the counter in the kitchen and cried. I can pay for the best lawyers in the world, but she wouldn't meet them. "My phone rings again and it's her dad. "Max, I'm doing everything I can," I tell him. 

"Archer, I know she turned your lawyers away, and she spoke to me telling me what you done. I'm afraid I'm with my daughter on this one. She wants you to keep away from her. My lawyers have got her out on bail, and she is under house arrest until the trial. My daughter is not pleading guilty to something she didn't do. All you need to know is she is safe." He hangs up before I could say anything.

I caused a mess of this, and I was trying to protect her from losing her temper. He must've really good lawyers to get her home that quick. 

Rubbed my face, sit on the stool gazing into thin air. We had spent time together in the last two weeks. Held her in my arms, assuring her how much I loved her. I'm a fucking jerk. I need to be with her.

Grabbed my phone from the counter to phone her. "Archer," Her voice is low. "I'm sorry this happened, but I couldn't tell you. I didn't know how too. I guess the love I have for you pushed me to protect you from raging out, and making it worse for you." 

"Don't worry about it, it's done." It went quiet. "Archer, I love you." "Sasha, I hear a but coming," "With the way you acted towards me, I believe it's best if we don't acknowledge each other anymore."