Chapter {28}

Brayden Pov:

Sighing as I sat next Lou's bedside holding his hand as he laid there peacefully sleeping. Once I got the phone call from his night nurse I quickly sobered up once she told me my brother had opened his eyes and was now even reacting to pain. She told me the doctor wanted to take him off the ventilator since he was making progress. They needed my permission and asked if I wanted to be there so of course I rushed up here to be by his side.

He was now able to breathe on his own, but it was as if he was still trying to adjust from not having tube being shoved down his throat anymore, so his breathing was a bit off. She told me that was normal, and he should be back to breathing normally soon.

The doctor described the state he was in as being minimally conscious meaning it's very difficult for him to remain aware and responsive right now. Like at random times he may be awake but it's no telling for how long. Sometimes I would ask him questions and he would squeeze my hand to let me know he heard me and other times I would get no response.

According to the doctor this was all good news or as she said it 'the storm is almost over'. I was just grateful my brother was finally making progress because after sitting here for weeks and not seeing anything happen it can get a bit discouraging but I knew my brother was a fighter. It was no way he was going to allow himself to be taken out like this.

Hell, I wasn't going to allow him to be taken out like this especially when he hasn't gotten his revenge on the motha fuckas who did this to him in the first place.

"Why didn't you call me?" Gloria asked as she rushed into the room going to sit on the other side of Lou's bedside as I rolled my eyes. Who called her goofy ass?

I didn't respond because after the shit she pulled yesterday we didn't have a damn thing to talk about. Instead, I just wanted to bask in the silence and enjoy time with my brother knowing he was in a better predicament.

"This is my baby Brayden I had a right to be here when they took him off the ventilator. Anything could've happened." She continued on looking at me with watery eyes.

"Man," I smacked my lips eyeing her in irritation as she raised an eyebrow looking at me in question. "I didn't call you because I didn't want you here." I told her keeping it simple because with the way I was feeling towards her right now it was best I didn't say too much.

"And who the hell are you to make that decision? You didn't birth him nor raise him that is my son not yours. You don't get to dictate who can be there for him or not because ultimately, I have the final say. Now, you remember that the next time they call you with some information concerning my son."

She fussed at me in a snappy tone as if her words were going to have some type of power over me. Since she just had to point out she was the one with the 'power'.

"You might've birthed him but you sure as hell didn't raise him." I scoffed because if I could remember correctly, she was too busy passed out on the floor after a beating majority of the time to properly take care of her children. "You didn't even raise me if you're trying to be technical."

"Oh, so I didn't raise y'all? Then who the hell did?" She asked mocked confused turning in her seat so she would be facing me properly just so I could see the glare she held on her face.

"I raised myself because you were too busy getting your ass beat and catering to a man who didn't care for you or did you forget?" I asked sarcastically with a smirk on my face watching as her frown deepened. "And I took care of Lou like he was my own so does that answer your question?"

"You are so disrespectful." She told me in disbelief shaking her head in denial. "After all I've done for you and your brother this is how you're going to turn around and treat me? I sacrificed my life for the both of you and I suffered more than your spoiled ass can even imagine."