Chapter 24 Hidden Within

When she entered the room she saw Janus on his chair petting his two snakes. She wanted to smile at the sight but didn't have the strength to.

"Hey, are you alright Hazel?" Janus said.

"Yeah, it's just another hard day of work you know."

"You don't seem alright. You can't lie to a liar. Please sit down and tell me what happened."

She sat on his bed and took her shoes off so no dirt got on it. She also took her gloves off and put them to the side. Janus could sense that something was off with her.

"Well you know how I want Luna to be safe?"

"I think we're aware of that but what about it?" He said handing one of the snakes to her.

"After today's 'incedent' at the school Thomas kinda scared Luna a bit. Instead of lecturing Thomas on why he shouldn't have done that...I yelled at Logan, Patton and Roman about it. Even though I shouldn't have..." She said putting her face into her hands.

Janus was wondering why there was so much noise from the other room and now he knew why. It was disheartening when he heard this news from Hazel but wasn't really surprised. Believe it or not this wasn't the first time that something like this occurred.

"Was this another break out?"

"It's not- Ahh!"

Hazel was cut off from a stinging pain on her scaled hand. They were spreading horribly and far too quickly causing the pain to get worse.

"Janus! Why does it hurt so m-much!!"

Thomas's deceitful side took action and let the snake go and went to the other's side.

"Shh, please settle down. It's alright. Unfortunately it will be painful of those continue to expand."

She soon settled down and control herself. She didn't want to lose control.

"Are you alright now dear?"

She nodded quietly before excusing herself. She exited the room and went to the kitchen to get a bottle of water. Something felt off. Then she felt her fingers around the bottle. Then she remembered something. She placed the bottle on the counter and searched her pockets for the gloves but only her mask was in one of them.

"Damn...they must be in Jan's room."

"What is?"

The other voice startled her as she took a glance at the person who said it. It was the emo himself.

"Oh it's nothing Virgil. Don't worry about it." She said shoving her hands in her pockets.

"Did I mention that you're a horrible liar? Actually though what did you leave in there?"

"It's my gloves. Why?" She asked not wanting to waste more time.

"Your gloves? Do you want me to get them for you?"

"Are you sure Virge?"

"Yeah I'll get em for you."

Before she could say anything else he went to Janus's room for the gloves and soon came back with them.

"Here you might need these."

She took them out of his hand and proceed to put them on. Then Virgil caught on on what was happening.

"So, why do you hide your scales so much?"

"Virgil, it's really complicated to explain. To spare you the time I'll just say that they're sensitive to contact." She said putting the other glove on.

"So they can't be touched?"

"Not without my permission. Even then I still won't allow it for other reasons."

Hazel was the only side that has actually meet Nick and his 'personalaty'. He was nice at first but then things gotten wrong. So horribly wrong...

~Flashback~ (Tw: scale peeling and cursing.)

It was just a normal day like any other. Hazel was only there to make sure nothing happens when Luna is awake. She was the only side that was allowed to be in reality since she knew how to keep her cover. Nickolas have gotten curious one day because she always worn a mask and gloves. The reason he didn't see her right snake eye was because of contacts. So when she was sitting on the couch he went to ask her what it was. Luna wasn't there at the time she was in her room talking to her other sides.

"Hey what's up with your mask and gloves? Are you scared to get a sickness or something?"

"No, I just don't like the way I look so I changed it to this."

She wasn't smart about it...that was her mistake.

"Can you show your hands to me then?"

"No,"

"I won't tell anyone."

Of course he'd say something like that. That's what they all say. He didn't seem like a bad person...at the time.

"Fine just don't freak out got it." She said only taking one off.

Then he saw the hand and how many scales there were on it enticed him.

"You have scales! Can I touch them!" He said with fake excitement.

"Yeah but- AHH! STOP! STOP! YOU'RE HURTING ME! LET GO!  IT HURTS! PLEASE! STOP!!"  She said trying to pull away from him.

It was too late...him 'touching' them was all a giant lie. He wanted to peel them off instead his child couldn't see any mistakes...he didn't know that she's already seen them. To Hazel it was like putting someone's hand in a wood chipper...yeah not the best way to describe it but that's what it felt like. He's only pealed off six of them and she's already in tears. It gotten to a point we're they started to bleed so she took her hand back instantly.

"What is wrong with you! I trusted you!"

He only laughed at her  weakend response.

"Heh, maybe next time don't be so fucking gulable. This is just what you deserve for being that dumb to even trust anyone with those sorry excuse for something special. Maybe next time you'll learn something you freak!"

She didn't take a second glance before going to Luna's room to sink down. He was a monster for telling her any of it...

~flashback end~

Thinking of that day sends shivers down her spine. That's why she doesn't want Luna to let her walls down. So she wouldn't get hurt...like she did once long ago.

"You know Virgil I wasn't always like this you know."

"Wait. Really?"

"Yeah, you know that Nick dude Luna refuses to talk about?"

"Yeah, something on the lines of him hurting her."

"Let's just say that both of us gotten hurt in the process and it wasn't no mistake."

Soon she walked away with the bottle in hand. Leaving Virgil to piece it together. That's why she was so defensive and closed off. She didn't want herself or the others to get hurt. He was already concerned for all or them but only just a bit more for Hazel...