Chapter 29 - You're the Captain

"We both drowned under the waves of words we weren't saying."

***********

Two months later...

Lilly's POV

Happy.

I've been happy. So very happy, that it feels surreal at times.

It makes me wonder how can one person only make me feel so much at once.

The sweetness, the gentleness, the excitement, and the thrill...it's all very overwhelming.

I don't want it to end. Can it never end?

I took Sally's advice and lived each day, one at a time, not ruining it with thoughts of what will happen tomorrow. At the moment, I really don't care about tomorrow, as long as today, he's by my side and I am by his.

Chase has gotten better, much better lately. The doctor says it's a matter of days before he can be discharged for good. They're only keeping him in now to make sure his condition is stabilized.

The side effects stopped almost a couple of weeks ago. Still, he went through a lot of pain and it ruined me seeing him face it all. I thought I am not strong enough to stick by him through all the bad, but I did.

I kept my promise and stayed. It wasn't even physically possible to keep away.

Even without attending in person, he is doing very well at school. Our finals are so close, but it's sure he'll be graduating with his class by the end of this semester.

Gosh, seeing him good now and all better, I could never be prouder.

Usually, after school, I immediately drop by the center to see him, except for today, I wanted to bake him some cookies, so I came back home, changed, and prepared them. I haven't tasted them yet but I hope they're good. I really don't wanna poison him after everything he had gone through.

"You're going to Chase's?" Mom's words had me lifting my eyes from the task at hand, I nodded and she smiled, but when she walked closer, her forehead creased and she looked around, "Something smells like it's been burned."

I gulped down and guiltily said, "Oh yeah, I burned the first patch of cookies and threw them away."

She chuckled and sat down on the stool next to me, "Why didn't you tell me, I would've made them for you."

I shook my head as I finished arranging them inside the small container, "No, I wanted to do it for him by myself," I added as I placed the container in my bag.

Mom's smile grew a bit wider, "You guys are so cute," She commented and placed her arm around me, "It's going well between you two I guess, right?"

I leaned into her embrace and nodded, "Yup, very very well." I added, unable to hide the girlish smile creeping up my face.

Mom seemed content at my response, the total opposite of dad, who keeps mumbling incoherent words every time he sees me beside Chase, but I think he's getting used to the idea of us, little by little. I mean, he could just forbid me from going there, but instead, he is the one who drops me there every time I ask him to.

"Yeah, I can clearly see it in your eyes," Mom commented, "And in Chase's eyes as well." She teasingly added, "I went and visited him in the morning when you guys were at school," She said and her next words were enough to make my smile drop, "Aylin was also there," Her eyebrows pulled together as if she just realized something, "Are you guys fighting or something, I never see you together anymore?"