Chapter 36 - Cracked dreams

"Let's meet again, for the first time."

************

One week later...

Lilly's POV

"Dad, I will tell you something and you are not going to like it," I started my conversation, giving him pre-heads up so he won't god forbid have a heart attack or something, "But promise me that you'll keep an open mind about it before you say no."

His expression shifted, expecting the worst from me as usual, can't blame him for that to be honest. Ever the problematic one I am.

He rushed a hand over his face, the muscles of his jaw working, silent still as he glared at me. Mom passed behind him, heading for the fridge, she paused and gave me a thumbs up, smiling and urging me to go for it. I internally groaned, God, why can't he be as supportive as she is in these matters.

Dad's gaze flickered behind him, they suspiciously narrowed at her, understanding how we are teaming up against him again. She gave him a sheepish smile, casually tapping her hand over his shoulder before she scurried off to the fridge, saving herself and pretending to be busy as she rampaged through it.

"So, uhm," I cleared my throat, trying to sound more professional and serious. For god's sake, if I will ever make it in the business world, I should at least be able to convince my own father that moving out of his house is a good idea.

But his glare, jesus...he is so going to make a scene.

"I think it's time for me to have my own place," I said it all at once, my heart beating a thousand miles per second. I sucked into a deep breath and rubbed my sweaty palms over my pants. This is beyond stressful.

Step one...done.

Step two; show him that you've done the necessary preparations.

"I've been searching around for something convenient, you know, location and budget-wise," I carried on, explaining, and he was still silent for some reason, his smoldering gaze keeping me in my seat and I tried to not let it affect me. Stand your ground, Lilly, stand your ground, "And after intensive research, I found the perfect apartment."

Step three; show him that it's matching with his criteria.

I kept my tone steady, reflecting just how determined I am to carry on with this at all costs, "It's really safe in there, I swear, the apartment complex has security guards at the entrance and no one can pass past them without calling and confirming with me first."

Step four; give him a real-life example, so he can visualize it.

"It's actually in the same building block as Chase, you've been there, you've seen the place," I added, defending my purposes, "The apartments are huge, modern, and very luxurious," He was still silent, making me more anxious, almost like a bomb ticking and waiting to explode in my face once I am done, "It's really safe in there, you've seen it, it's a family-friendly compound, it's so safe and it's really close to work and Chase is there in case you know, so uh yeah...it's safe," Okay, today's game is; guess how many times Lilly said the word safe in the past minute.

Ugh, it's just I know him and how much he worries. I need to show him that I am responsible enough now, that I can handle being on my own without tripping and falling every second.

I hefted a low breath, waiting for a reaction but he stayed silent, his expression impassive, giving me no clue whatsoever, his fingers tapping over the table, slowly and one at a time. Damn it, I never thought I'd be more uncomfortable with his tranquillity. I'd rather him say some words, maybe like shout at me, scold me or something, tell me how I barely survived when I was on my own in the UK, how the small decision that I took years ago almost broke down my family.