Chapter 2 - Thank you, universe

"Time: the healer, and the killer."

***********

Two years later...

Lilly's POV

I officially have no friends anymore.

Nope. None. Nada.

The friend endearment shouldn't be used so loosely, because no matter what you do for them, the moment always comes and they stab you right in the back.

I sighed as I read again through the last message Sally has sent me.

She ditched me. That little back-stabber ditched me, her best friend for ten years, for some guy she only met a week ago.

I texted the other girls in our group, and they all had excuses. One just got her period, the other is fighting with her boyfriend over something, the third is staying at her boyfriend's place...and Sally is probably having sex by now.

Great. Just another one of the many disadvantages of being single at this age and time.

The bartender interrupted my self-pity session and pointed to my half-empty martini glass, "Can I get you another one?"

I shook my head, "Not yet, thanks," Because apparently, I will be heading home after this.

I internally groaned. All I wanted was to go out, have some fun before the new semester starts on Monday.

Too much to ask for, I guess.

Blowing out a deep breath, I read Sally's messages, coming one after the other, mostly her apologizing and promising to make it up for me next week. I read through her last message, in which she promised to clean the house, and do the laundry all by herself for the next two weeks. A bit satisfied at that, but still more than angry at being all alone, I lifted the drink to my mouth and mumbled to myself, "Where in hell should I go now?"

I was asking the universe.

And the universe answered.

"My place isn't far," A deep, rich voice said from next to me. Not realizing anyone had taken on the stool right next to me, I startled, tipping my glass and spilling whatever was left of my drink all over my white top.

"Oh no, no," I stood, quickly grabbing for a napkin from the bar and started to dap it at my brand new top, "Shit, not my expensive shirt!"

"Sorry about that, didn't mean to scare you."

"Well, then don't sneak up on people, jackass!" Oh, this is definitely leaving a stain.

"Relax darling, it's just a shirt, I can get you a new one," That same deep voice said again and with my anger tripling, I gave up on my blotting my shirt and looked up at him.

My heartbeats halted to a stop as my eyes collided with the human being I just a jackass.

Shit.

He is a jackass alright.

Some tall, handsome, and a very hot jackass.

Guilty grey-blue eyes drifted from my stained wet shirt to me. The sight of them alone had me freezing in the spot and forgetting even my name. They weren't like Chase's eyes, no. No one can ever measure up to him in my mind. But these, they had more of a grey tone, and that gave them a very sharp edge, dangerous, and exhilarating, only drawing me in.

Feeling at a loss of words, I turned around again and focused only on my shirt. Nervously, I looked around, searching for more napkins but found none left.