Chapter 30 - It was only the beginning (Part One)

"My eyes refuse to watch you leave, so tears will blur the memory."

**************

Lilly's POV

The feeling pressing up against my heart is cold, so cold. Like concrete drying in my chest.

It wraps me in. It invades the part of me that was scared all along.

It's unexpected - top of the world one minute and cut down the next.

I still feel myself in a haze, drinking in the feedback of the news, my mind in a swirling loop between the past, the present, and what's about to change in the very near future.

His parents left after, because today was supposed to be ours. I wanted it to be ours, to make him happy, to celebrate his birthday, and show him that he could still have everything he once had before the drug.

Now I realized, he didn't need my little surprises.

They weigh nothing in front of this. He is going to have what he wants the most so soon.

He is happy. That's the important thing.

I kicked everything away and took his hand in mine, dragging him with me and out of the room, determined to keep this day going as planned. Whatever the problem is, it can be dealt with tomorrow. Today is ours, and I will keep it like this. I won't take away that happy look in his eyes.

"Where are we going again?" He asked.

"Your second surprise," I said, a smile forming on my face, "Well, it's not as big as your parent's news but I-"

Maybe he sensed the doubt in my words because before I could finish my sentence, he paused his steps, and with the hold of his hand over mine, he pulled me closer, his other hand reaching for my face, "Lilly, you've done more than enough today," He shook his head, his words genuine.

"Well, on my birthday, you kind of gave me the best gift of all," I said, and pressed my finger over his chest, "You," I added, my heart beating a thousand feeling against my chest and his eyes lightened. It all started that day.

No matter what's about to happen from tomorrow on, I will never regret this, or him.

He is the first guy to make me feel all of this.

He is my first kiss. My first date. My first heartbreak. My first...

I paused my thoughts right there and pulled him with me to the closed room. I took the keys out and unlocked it. Opening it, I ushered him to get inside and I followed.

The room was mostly empty, they preserve it for occasional meetings in the center. And after a lot of persuasion, they finally allowed me to place the piano in it. Chase's astonished gaze drifted from the piano to me and he shook his head, "You're unbelievable."

I shrugged, "I only did the talking, Conner was the muscles of this operation."

I didn't waste time and pulled him from his arm to the seat right beside the piano, "Come on, let's try it."

I sat down by his side as his eyes ran over the keys, a small smile lifted his lips when with one move of his fingers, he played a random note, "You have no idea how much I missed this."

I smiled, "I know."

He looked at me and I felt my heart beat a bit faster again, warmness blanketed my skin, ridding me of whatever I felt just minutes ago, "Play something for me." I requested.