Chapter 43 - Power Over Me

"In the tempest of my existence, he always remained the unwavering calm, an anchor to my turbulent sea."

************

Lilly's POV

My horrified and confused gaze remained fixed on Chase as he left my dad's side and casually walked into my room, shutting the door behind him, and shielding us from the eyes and ears outside. His eyes met mine, and he seemed like he was about to speak but hesitated when he noticed the concern etched across my face.

His furrowed brows mirrored my confusion, "What?" he asked.

My eyes widened, "What?" I repeated his question, taking a step closer toward him, "You were talking with Dad," I pointed out, lowering my voice a little just in case he was still outside or near, "And now you are in my room," I looked around, "Well, my old room," I clarified. Chase looked double confused and perplexed so I carried on explaining, hissing the words at him in a hushed tone, "And he saw you walk into my room!" And close the damn door behind!

Lines formed on his forehead, and he nodded slowly. "Yeah."

I shot him an incredulous glare, wondering if he could be any more dumb. With a light slap on his arm, I pressed on. "So, what did he say? What were you two talking about?" They'd been conversing for over half an hour, and my imagination was running wild with the myriad of questions that might have passed between them. Were they discussing our relationship? Did Dad ask him about Christian? Did they discuss the recent danger I'd faced? Did he question our relationship and its seriousness? Did he interrogate him for every damn detail...

The questions swirled in my mind as I recalled the serious discussion they'd been engrossed in. Chase better have some answers.

Gosh, how old did I become yet I am still terrified of my dad catching me with a guy...

Chase's confusion seemed to deepen, and he shook his head, as if he could sense the torrent of questions racing through my mind. "It's not what you think," he replied, his tone soothing, as he moved closer, bridging the gap between us. "We were simply agreeing on not informing my dad about what happened here tonight," he clarified. "Both he and Mom are out of the city, and since no one else got sick yet, there's no need to alarm and get them worried for no reason."

I took a deep breath and nodded in agreement. After Nikolas had taken Nathan and left, the rest of us were forced to be quarantined within the boundaries of this house till the following day. Nikolas informed us that whichever virus had infected Emma was contagious, and there was a risk it could have spread to any of us. So, we collectively decided to stay at my parents' house, opting for a sleepover of sorts to monitor if anyone else would display symptoms.

My fingers fidgeted with the hem of my shirt, nervous still because Dad hadn't spoken to me yet. If he didn't interrogate Chase, then he was going to interrogate me very soon; about everything, about Chase, Christian, and the fact that I was almost killed at the hands of Nathan during that stupid reunion.

I felt Chase's hand rest over mine, gently removing it from over my shirt and wrapping it inside his before he used it to pull me closer to him, "What is it?" he questioned, gazing down at me and reading my immense distress.

Now, that Emma was getting better and Nathan was captured, I finally had time to worry about everything else of less importance.

I sighed, my unease still gnawing at me. "Well, it's Dad, It's not like him to not overreact, so I am kind of scared of his silence," I mumbled, "You're sure he didn't ask you anything about us or...you know." I mean, it's quite obvious that we are dating again but he didn't even question nor acknowledge it. Something just doesn't feel right.