Chapter 25 - We are a family

"And in the middle of my chaos, there was you."

*************

Lilly's POV

Zack's words rocked inside of me a type of terror I haven't experienced before. Fear lifted in a flurry of nerves. It only wounded the anxiety tighter through my chest and made it hard to breathe.

I blocked every other thing he said after and rushed back to the kitchen. I halted to a stop by the door, my eyes first fell on Chase sitting over the chair, beside him uncle Ashton, his arm around his shoulders, asking him something.

"No, no, I am better now," Chase replied back, rushing a hand over his face.

"I don't think you are," Uncle Ashton insisted, "We are going to the doctor now."

I rushed forward toward them, "He is right," I said to Chase, the urgency in my tone had uncle Ashton looking at me. I directed my words at him, "You should take him to the hospital," My throat bobbed when instant worry flashed in his eyes, so I carried on, "It's the pills."

"What pills?" Chase asked, his eyebrows pulling together ever so cluelessly.

My gaze drifted to him and my chest squeezed tighter. I couldn't begin to think how badly this is going to affect him, both physically and mentally. A lump clogged my throat and before I could utter another word, I felt auntie Katherine coming up beside me.

Her gaze dropped on Chase and she immediately walked closer to him, "Chase, baby, what's wrong?" She asked, worry tightening her brows and itching lines over her forehead, "Are you okay?" Her palm rested over his cheek, "You look so pale today."

He shook his head as he got to his feet, way too bothered by this excessive attention, "I am fine," He mumbled, pushing his way away from us.

My hand shot to his arm, grabbing at his sleeves and stopping him. Confusion drew lines between his eyebrows as I said, "No, you're not."

Uncle Ashton's gaze drifted from me to Chase, understanding the underlying reason for my immense worry, he urged, "Chase, please, we need to go now and check with your doctor."

"After school, we can go," Chase answered, unable to realize the seriousness of the situation, "I am fine, and I have exams, this can wait-"

"I don't think it can," I said, shaking my head as I turned to uncle Ashton. He nodded his head, agreeing, "She is right."

Chase's confused gaze drifted between us, "Why does it feel like there is something I am not aware of?"

"Because there is," Uncle Ashton said and Katherine's eyes grew a bit wide, "I'll tell you all about it, now let's just go to your doctor and we can take care of the rest later."

"Ashton," Katherine said lowly, "What's...what's wrong?"

A low sigh parted his lips and he shook his head, "I will tell you," He assured, "But, for now, why don't you drop Lilly and Max at school, I will take Chase to the doctor and then-"

"No," I interjected, "I am coming with you!" I am already dying over here of the possible ways this could go wrong. I wouldn't handle to wait for more.

"No, you are not, you have exams," Katherine said, "Your father would kill me if he knows I let you skip school."

"But-" Before I could say more, she shook her head, her tone strict this time, "Go get your things and tell Max to hurry up."