Chapter 26 - A half-told story

[Not edited because I have to sleep and it's a long ass chapter, so enjoy it anyway xD]

***************

"A true relationship is two imperfect people refusing to give up on each other,
and that's exactly why ours ended."

***************

Max's POV

My gaze flickered from the girl's hand over my arm to her face, closely noticing her seductive smile and the way she fluttered her eyelashes at me, all coy and flirtatious. I observed the twinkle in her dark green eyes as she went on telling me about her last summer, her soft voice lacing with an Italian accent, and if possible, it made her sound even hotter. I was slowly getting drawn into this, as much as she was. Great.

Sometimes you gotta love vacations, it's always easier to get laid.

There is one problem though; for the love of me, I can't remember her name. Still, not a dealbreaker, I can find a way to not use her name throughout the night.

Our conversation got interrupted by Wyatt, the little shit came to my side, his hand landing on my back and almost knocking my drink off, "We're starting another volleyball match, one is missing on the team, come on," He urged, practically forcing me to join them.

I shook my head, "Not now-" I started to say and the Italian girl whose name I've forgotten smiled at me, "Oh, come on, show us your talents American boy," She said with a teasing wink, for some reason thrilled with the idea of me playing.

I nodded, agreeing for her sake and placed my drink aside. Wyatt dragged me along immediately, "She is hot," He said and I shot him a glare, "Go look at girls your age," I shot out and he just rolled his eyes at me.

When we reached the volleyball net, I noticed the two teams at each side. On our side were two girls, a guy we met here at the party, Nathan, Wyatt and me. Everyone got ready into their positions and I saw...whatever the hell her name is take a seat on the side, her eyes on me as she rested her chin over her hand and just watched us. She smiled, ever so warmly and I returned the smile, more than sure that tonight is all covered.

Hearing his voice, my eyes drifted to Nathan beside me and at my gaze, his eyes went from Wyatt and fell on me. I immediately looked away, walking in the opposite direction and getting the ball. I didn't talk with him after my little outburst earlier today. I wanted to apologize but still didn't get the chance yet, especially after Lilly barged in with the news of my attacker. Everyone's nerves was on high alert after and since then, against my will, my mind keeps drifting back to that incident.

To how they cornered me, to how I let them do it, to the look in his eyes as he twisted the knife in my guts, to the promise in his words as he said it was payback for my father, or well, for both of them. Anger fueled my chest at the thought, the rage accumulating at my inside since the morning pushed me forward, scoring more than once as we played against the other team, finally getting a chance to let it all out.

The guy on the opposing team looked furious when we scored for almost the sixth time in a row. He gave me a daring challenging look, I returned it by speeding toward the net, ready to serve the ball away when my shoulder came colliding with someone, accidentally pushing him away.

The collision had the ball falling down, them scoring for once as I turned to the right, my eyes on Nathan as he staggered a bit to the side, "Are you okay?" I asked, cursing inside at my impulsive action. My head was so into the game that I didn't seem to notice anyone else.