Chapter 6 - The known and the unknown

"She was trouble, chaos really but her smile...her smile dared me to fall in love with her."

-ATTICUS

━━━━━━✾✾━━━━━━

Chase's POV

I sucked into a deep breath as I stared at my reflection in the mirror. Water dripped down from the strands of my hair into the side of my forehead as I splashed more into my face. Fighting through the thousand thoughts roaming up my head, air pushed harshly out of my lungs and I drove my hand through my hair.

I dried my face and went back to my room. I pulled the semi-wet T-shirt over my head and threw it into the laundry basket. As I slipped another one over my head, I heard the door opening. I immediately turned around and...there she was.

Her eyes traveled down my stomach then up again as I fixed my shirt. She licked her lips, "Um, not sorry." She said, trying so hard to hide a smile before she leisurely made her way into the room like she owned it.

My eyes followed her as she sat on my bed's edge, her palms pressed over the mattress and her eyes met mine again, "Whatcha ya doin?" She asked, her tone cheerful.

"Why you're here?" I purposely ran away from her and now here she is.

She shook her head, "Nothing, just got bored with the old people downstairs," She was trying to make up a conversation, but I knew exactly why she is here, "and thought-"

"Lilly," I cut her off.

The cheerful act dropped down and she looked me in the eye and said, "We need to talk."

I sat on the chair across from her and nodded, "Okay, talk."

"Look Chase, I-" She started and I knew exactly what she was going to say next so instead, I was the one to let those words out.

"We can't do this." She blinked, taken aback with my words. I shook my head, "We can't risk it."

━━━━✾✾━━━━

Three days ago...

"Dude, I've been searching for you everywhere." Zack's voice snapped out of my haze and I pulled my head off the notebook to glance at him.

He sat across of me on the other side of the table and closed my notebook. He pushed it away and my eyebrow raised as I tried to reach for it again, "I have an exam in an hour." I commented and he shook his head as he placed it further away.

"This is more important." He said, ever so seriously, "I need your full concentration."

I breathed out an annoyed breath and leaned back into my seat, "What's it now?"

He nervously rubbed at the back of his neck and breathed out a full breath of air, "What Conner said that day, is it...is it true?" He asked, his brows pinched and his eyes searching in mine for an answer.

"About what?" I played the dumb card.

"You know what, about Lilly," Here we go again, "You two are close, did she ever tell you anything about it?"

I swallowed hard and crossed my arms over my chest. My eyebrow raised, "Why are you asking about this now?"

"Okay, look," He again rubbed at the back of his neck, "I know this might sound weird," He started, swallowing hard, he dropped it on me, "But...but I think I like her."